Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel Filter and EGR Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Default Fuel Filter and EGR Valve Replacement

All,

Just found the forum this morning, and already enjoying all the great information.

I have a 96 Accord EX 4-cylinder and like to do as much work myself as possible (oil changes, etc). I'm not an accomplished mechanic, but have tools and am willing to give things a shot if it's not too difficult. I'm looking at replacing my fuel filter and EGR valve, but don't know how difficult it is. Are these jobs relatively straightforward, or something to be left to a dealer for all but the diehard mechanics among us ? I don't believe these have been replaced in awhile, are they critical to be changes at certain intervals ?

Did not see these issues mentioned on the forums in past posts, hence my writing this post.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Buckeye

Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Fuel Filter and EGR Valve Replacement

Welcome!

Fuel filter is a job that requires a lot of dexterity and patience. First you need a special tool - like a special wrench head , it's the only way to access the back nut - and you can only get to it from the bottom ( I didn't try to do it from the top though ). 94-97 fuel filters are a mess, be prepared to be covered with gasoline In other words - it is doable but ain't worth your time and nerves if you dont have the tool nor the lift to lift up the car. I say pay the garage for replacement if labor is withing $50 it's ok.

about EGR Valve - why do you need it replaced? what is the problem?

Old 05-04-2005, 02:36 PM

My friend tried to change the fuel filter on his 95 accord and like stated above it was a mess and its not the easiest thing in the world to get to either IMO just take it to a trusted mechanic

Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your help,

As far as the EGR valve, I thought it was part of the regular maintenance service. I contacted the dealer (about the fuel filter issue), and they stated it is not a regular maintenance item, and only changed when it acts up.

Regarding the fuel filter, it is about $70 to get it changed at the dealer (so probably worth the $$ given the mess it seems to cause). However, the same dealer also stated it was a lifetime filter, so should not require changing.

I did speak with them about changing the brake fluid, which was $40. However, they stated they only changed the fluid in the master cylinder. This seems like a lot for sucking a few cups of brake fluid out and pouring in some more.

Regards,

Pete
Buckeye

Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 PM

Dude, lets not get all crazy about it?

As long as everything works, no Engine light with EGR failure code, dont touch it ok?

dealer charges $70 bucks - well i believe that there are other garage shops around that will do the job for less and do that right. However if it doesn't hurt you extra $20 , go with that.
yes there are lifetime fuel filters - the problem is - filters do not live that long
...when you replace the filter you can ask to get the old filter back - now , just turn it upside down and try to tap it on your hand - you'll be amased how much sand you will get on your palm.

brake fluid [>:] i dont know - , basically if you bleed your brakes once in a while the fluid circulates - just make sure you add the fluid that is specified in the manual.

I understand your passion for jumping on the car and start replacing stuff, start with something easy, how about spark plugs and air filter - replacing distributor cap and rotor? that stuff you can do yourself and feel good about it

Old 05-05-2005, 12:50 AM

I just thought of something - may be it was a PCV valve you wanted to replace?? you can do that - it costs around 7-10$ and can be replaced easily. theres actually a way to test your pcv valve (positive crankshaft ventilation valve) that is on the valve cover.

I was surprised that it improved my mileage from 22 to 24 miles per gallons. I change it every 6-9 months.

anyway - if you want i can guide you how to test your pcv valve.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 AM

I remember after i installed my first intake i was hungry for things to do for my car so id change my wires and spark plugs all the time lol

Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 AM

you, master mechanic you!!

Old 05-05-2005, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Yes this job is not the easiest one to accomplish for the first time, you can more than likely find one of your towns back yard wrenchs to do it for about $ 25.00 to 40.00.

WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

Welcome!

Fuel filter is a job that requires a lot of dexterity and patience. First you need a special tool - like a special wrench head , it's the only way to access the back nut - and you can only get to it from the bottom ( I didn't try to do it from the top though ). 94-97 fuel filters are a mess, be prepared to be covered with gasoline In other words - it is doable but ain't worth your time and nerves if you dont have the tool nor the lift to lift up the car. I say pay the garage for replacement if labor is withing $50 it's ok.

about EGR Valve - why do you need it replaced? what is the problem?

Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Hey BuckEye Pete, just where in Ohio do you live...?

Or are you from Ohio and livin somewheres else?

WheelBrokerAng..
Ohio[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter and EGR Valve Replacement