Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel Filter and EGR Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Default RE: Fuel Filter and EGR Valve Replacement

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

you, master mechanic you!!
Yes I am the man lol [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 05-07-2005, 08:11 PM

Evlampius,

Thanks for the info. I have been doing much of the maintenance myself for the last few years (oil changes, plugs and wires, brakes, etc.). I did stop by the dealer to pick up some filters and a PCV valve today. The valve was $19 (ouch), but the desk person at the dealer asked why I wanted to replace it. I mentioned normal manitenance, and she stated that if you pulled it off and it rattled, it was functioning and did not need replacement. I went out in the lot and did this; sure enough it sounded like a BB shaking around in there, so I did not ended up getting the replacement. Was this "shake test" the one you were referring to to check the valve ? Would you still recommend replacing it every 6-9 months ? If so, do you spend $19 for the Honda version, or a cheaper off-brand ?

WhelBrokerAng,

I am still in Ohio (Columbus), but I grew up in Northern Ohio (Broadview Heights). My folks told me they had like a foot of snow a couple weeks ago [&:]. Hope things have warmed up there.

Buckeye

Old 05-07-2005, 09:33 PM

see, did I tell you to shake it?? [sm=nothatway.gif] I said - and I QUOTE : "if you want i can guide you how to test your pcv valve." [:'(]

do you really think that I would just tell you to shake it ?? and yes even those that are bad are rattling. [:@] [:@]

So now I'm gonna tell you how to check it , but before that I'm gonna slap you!!! [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 05-07-2005, 10:05 PM

OK - so The vacuum hose that is attached to PCV valve is holding the valve open by vacuum... take it out and shake it..... LOL ! just kidding...

take a pair of wide nose pliers - take a rag , cover the vacuum hose in the middle and gently squeeze the hose ( and I mean gently, do not damage the hose!) till the point where the hose is completely closed - you will hear (or will not) "click" from the PCV valve - release the pliers and you will hear another "click" . Try it couple of times hear the "clicks" if you DO hear them PCV valve is OK.

Although Honda Original PCV valve is better quality , spending $19 bucks for it - is a little too much. I'm buying the PCV valve at local PepBoys store for $3 dollars (because it's my business price) regular customer price is bellow $10 bucks <-- those cheap a$$ valves will fail more frequently than Honda OEM, thus the replacement every 6-9 months.

Here is a very good site I found with Honda Parts - I have found this site be very user friendly and the shipping is very fast! try it see as you might find a good deal there - this month deal is $100 bucks timing belt/pump/drivebelts package deal. visit here : T.A.S. Autoparts

I wish you all the best and contact me if you have any other questions.
Evlampius.

P.S. I hope you're not offended by my posts , sorry if you find my posts offensive or somthing...I try adding some smilies so it wouldn't look that harsh and I hope you dont take me seriously while me being a$$ , making fun of people! OK?? [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-08-2005, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the great info; I'll try it tomorrow.

Don't sweat the being "offensive" part, I'm pretty easy-going.

Regards,

Pete
Buckeye