Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
oxxiissiixxo
Unregistered
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner

Hi guys,

I got a 5 dollars off coupon for Pro Gard Fuel injector cleaner from chevron from costco, so I bought a case back home. My question is how does the fuel injector cleaner works? I know that there are many kinds of injector cleaners (from cheap one to very expensive one); how they are different from another. Please tell me more!

I sometimes feed my car with shell 91 gasoline and sometimes I feed my car with 87. Please give me any suggestion!

Thank you!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM

from my understanding fuel injector cleaner uses special chemicals that specifically target gunk in the injector and fuel system. I use STP cleaner and it says on the bottle it uses jet fuel. i guess it depends but they do help some. more expensive doesnt always make a difference and neither does it mean they will help. of course if you really need a cleaning shops can take them and completely clean them using machines.

as for your octane if your car takes 87 stick with it. 91 does nothing for you and you may actually lose mileage. higher octane is for cars with forced induction like turbos or high compression that require that the fuel doesn't ignite too early.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 AM
oxxiissiixxo
Unregistered

the 91 fuel is with more octane and so it means it has less junk in the fuel. Isn't it? and so, it is more "pure". Please correct me if i am wrong. This is what i heard from my friend.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM

although higher octane may have conditioners and additionally cleaners that does not mean it has "less junk" in it.

Octane has absolutely nothing to do with cleanliness. the octane rating involves with how easily it is to ignite the fuel. low octane ignites more easily and can be set off by high compression or forced induction early before the spark causing detonation and knock. granted this is only for high performance cars. if your car requires only 87 octane dont waste your money and use 87 octane.

higher octane will not raise your mileage, performance, clean your engine more etc. once again they may add cleaners that's about it. the gasoline is not more "pure" or anything like that. if you do a search on here for octane, there are some threads discussed about it.

I'd recommend sticking with 87 and using injector cleaner every so often. by the way what car do you drive?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Tell us what car you have, but very few Hondas need high-octane fuel. S-2000 or NSX or some Integras can benefit from high octane, but no USA Accords.

STP cleaner says jet fuel? JET FUEL? That's kerosene, for all practical terms as far as a piston engine can tell. The cleaners are petroleum distillates (like gasoline, kerosene, diesel, & jet fuel are all distillates). The cleaners are chosen for their ability to dissolve the tar & varnish that gunks up the fuel system. I've used Chevron Techron & like it, but probably any type of cleaner will do SOME good. Unless the fuel system is particularly dirty, there's no need to use them all the time.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 AM
oxxiissiixxo
Unregistered

Just an 07 Accord with an I4, but thanks guy especially clutch811... I learned a lot ^^.

Jimblake... do you use Pro Gard Fuel injector cleaner from chevron or you use a more concentrated cleaner.

Oh, by the way do you guys tint your car too ??? ^^

Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

The stuff I've used is in a black bottle with mostly red lettering. Chevron Techron Concentrate. I'm not even sure if it says Pro Guard on the bottle or not.

But like I said, probably any cleaner will do some good, and I don't think your stuff is bad. If you have any specific reason to think your fuel system is particularly nasty & gunked up, let us know the reasons.

I haven't tinted my windows.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
STP cleaner says jet fuel? JET FUEL? That's kerosene, for all practical terms as far as a piston engine can tell. The cleaners are petroleum distillates (like gasoline, kerosene, diesel, & jet fuel are all distillates). The cleaners are chosen for their ability to dissolve the tar & varnish that gunks up the fuel system. I've used Chevron Techron & like it, but probably any type of cleaner will do SOME good. Unless the fuel system is particularly dirty, there's no need to use them all the time.
haha yeah it says it on the back of the bottle lol. I know they use it just for marketing. it seems to work good for me.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:29 AM

I use Lucas injector cleaner every once in a while and it works great. It's like 3-4$ a bottle.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
rio

Chevron Techron is where it's at. Had is recommended to me by an old mechanic friend that was trying to help me get my 91 civic to pass NY emissions back in the day. Great stuff! I use the "treats up to 13 gallons" bottle every other oil change (every 10k).

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner