Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Default RE: Fuel Recommendations

go buy gas from your local airport for 10 bucks a gallon : )

Old 05-28-2006, 03:23 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hey Sendal
I wouldn't recommend letting your gas go below a 1/4 of a tank because this makes your fuel pump run warmer than average. The fuel is what keeps it cool. I try to keep mine around half at minimum.
As for fuel, I try to stick with BP, Shell, and Mobil. I also think that the premium Shell gas does have better detergents...don't they call it V-power or something like that?

Old 05-28-2006, 03:58 AM

I agree with some and others i don't, with 87 octane in my 94 EX when vtec kicks in, i can hear it but don't feel it. Now if I am running 92 octane, or 93 if I shop at mobil, i can feel the difference. I do however have intake, header, exhaust that could attribute to being able to fell it with better octane.

I disagree that higher octane doesn't do anything. The difference is, that the higher octane at the pump doesn't do much difference. Look at anybody's power readouts on a tuned engine. At pump gas you make x amount of hp and torque, you put 98 or higher octane and the jump is amazing. However, your normal engine wouldn't like this too much is my guess. Thats why I say tuned engines. Anyways, thats why you see the funny cars and stuff all run on race gas, or airport gas, or pure nitro. Its all higher octane stuff, the higher the octane the easier the burn, don't believe me? Try and light malibu rum on fire, not going to happen, now light everclear on fire!! Poof, everclear gone, why? Higher octane, or in this case alcohol percentage but you get the point.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

these are the facts:

1. ALL Accords prior to 2003 model year will not make use of higher octane fuel since the ECU does not have the means to adjust the timing based upon octane

2. ALL 6th gen V6 accords make LESS power when you use higher octane fuel (refer to C&D Nov 01 issue) you will loose 4whp and it will add .5sec to your 0-60 times due to the loss of 15ft/lbs of torqe in the low-mid rpm range. This V6 lacks a knock sensor so the engine is tuned very conservatively.

3. 7th gen accords will add 10hp/torque when you run on 91 octane fuel. It takes about 2 tanks before the full effect is noticed.

If your car runs better on higher octane fuel, you need to find the problem and fix it. End of story. Don't waste your cash on higher octane fuel unless you get your ECU retunned to run on higher octane fuel.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:03 PM

3. 7th gen accords will add 10hp/torque when you run on 91 octane fuel. It takes about 2 tanks before the full effect is noticed.

That is only true of the V-6 according to Honda engine designer Asaki. The four cylinder 2.4l performance is not enhanced by higher octane and it can actually retard performance.
We're talking stock engines here not dragsters.

Quote:

"The Accord V-6 ratings assume regular-grade fuel, and Honda will market it as a regular-fuel engine. But — pssst — it's good for another 10 hp and 10-plus lbs.-ft. on premium, acknowledges V-6 engineer Asaki."

Old 05-29-2006, 05:31 PM

Yeah, that's right the I4 also gets about 6 or so more HP as well I should have mentioned that but I was thinking in terms of V6 in previous posts. I cannot even begin to tell you how many of my friends put premium in their car and wonder why they get less MPG than I do.

I drove to MI from MN and on the way there I averaged 31MPG and that was with the 2 hour delay in Chicago with a speed of 78 and the A/C on. On the return trip I averaged 33.76 MPG with the A/C on and no delay in Chicago and a average speed of 76mph.

I drove my '98 V6 on the trip.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Yeah, that's right the I4 also gets about 6 or so more HP as well I should have mentioned that but I was thinking in terms of V6 in previous posts

You'll have to offer up some proof for me to believe that about the 4 banger. I'm not arguing about it, but two dino runs I have seen with the 7th gen 2.4l manual lost HP & torque with premium fuel vs 87....same cars. This was not in person, it was on the www. and I'll be damned if I can remember where I saw it but I'll keep digging. This is actually a case where I'd like to be wrong but 6HP on the 4 banger?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:12 PM

Eh, lets just save time, drop a bottle of everclear with every tank. Hows that for octane ^_-

Old 05-31-2006, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

Eh, lets just save time, drop a bottle of everclear with every tank. Hows that for octane ^_-
Drop it in the punch at the party.....more fun to watch!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:20 AM

naw...... people die that way......

Quick Reply: Fuel Recommendations