Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Question Fuel Sending Unit

I have a 1992 Accord LX.

The dealership told me my fuel sending unit is bad.

They said that it is located in the tank, but is SEPARATE from the fuel pump.

They also said that there are 2 brands, "Denso" and 1 other (he could not remember the brand)---BUT

They do the same job--they are in the same location, but CANNOT be interchanged.

Can anyone give me more information?

I need to replace this part in order to give me accurate readings on my gas gauge.

Thank you.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Look at the gauge cluster very close, there should be some small writing on it - Denso or Nippon Seiki (NS).....I think it is right at the bottom in the center.

The sending unit is on the right pass side of the gas tank. I think there is a small panel on the trunk floor that you can lift up to get to it.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the reply.

If there is some type of writing on the gauge cluster, why wouldn't anyone at the Honda dealership know this?
They see hundreds of Hondas every week...

I was told that both the fuel pump and fuel sending unit are in the gas tank and the gas tank is UNDER the rear seat.

I was told that the pump and sending unit are in the SAME location---but are SEPARATE pieces.

Both sending unit brands (Denso and NS) are in the same place, do the same job but are NOT interchangeable.

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

There is small writing on the lower part of the gauge cluster that will let you know which it is. I can't answer why they wouldn't know this....they were small children when the car was made???? Anyway, as I said look for small writing/printing on the gauge cluster.

The difference in the Denso and NS must have something to do with the resistance readings between the two.....meaning at 1/2 tank the resistance on the NS is "X" and the Denso is "Y".

The pump and the sending unit are in two different locations on your car.....period.

Go to one of the many on-line Honda Dealer websites (majestic honda is one example). Look the part up yourself, it will be under the "Fuel Tank" listing. You will see the pump and sending unit are in two different locations.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, slow. The gas tank is under the trunk floor....not the rear seat. Open the trunk, fold down the rear seat, pull the carpet into/on top of the rear seat.

You will be seeing a bare metal and the "fiber board" over the spare tire. On the right pass side of the trunk you should see a "panel" with some black glue/gum holding it down.....about directly below the right/pass side speaker in the rear deck lid.

Use a flat head screw driver and pry that panel up....bam, there is the top of the sending unit.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:19 PM

OK---once again--why would the rep at the dealership tell me the parts were located under the rear seat?

So once all the stuff is lifted up, I will see the fuel sending unit on the right side and the fuel pump on the left side, right?

Also, what are you feelings about aftermarket Honda parts--specifically the motor mounts?

My rear mount is leaking and the aftermarket mounts are WAY less expensive than genuine Honda Parts (ex: Auto Zone=$33---Honda=$382)

I even found a company (Ebay) that is selling all 4 engine mounts
(Lifetime warranty) for $100

Thanks poorman212.

Have a great weekend.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

I have no idea why they would tell you that.

Yes, once the carpet and the panel is removed - either glued or three screws hold the panel - you will be able to see the top of the sending unit.

For mounts, aftermarket are fine. If you have an auto trans, I'd be sure the rear mount you get is the hydraulic/fluid filled mount.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Sending Unit-4th-gen-fuel-sending-unit.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM

What are your thoughts about using a USED fuel sending unit?

If the used part was tested and checked to see that it was working...

I live in East Tampa and besides the Honda dealerships there is only one parts place that sells parts for Hondas. And they have to order it.

Found it online for $74 including shipping.

Thanks for all the help.

Hope you have a great week!

Last edited by poorman212; 01-27-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

My only concern would be the "brand". I'm willing to bet that the difference between the Denso and the NS are minimal.....but that is a guess.

Online dealer price for the part is ~$85 new.....don't know if shipping would be added or not. You might check rockauto or some place like that to see what they offer it for. Next thing I would think about is a "bone yard"...junk yard. With a simple volt meter (can be had for ~$5) you can test the one you pull. You get two things....practice at how to pull/replace it and know if it is good before leaving the "yard".

I edited the post to take the "air" out of it to make it easier for us to read.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 PM

poorman212,

A Honda tech told me the difference between the NS and the Denso was that they have different amounts of resistance and are not interchangeable.

So you have no problem using a used part as long as it was tested?

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Fuel Sending Unit