Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

fuel tank pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default fuel tank pressure sensor

ok so what is the differance between a fuel tank pressure sensor and a fuel pressure regulator.. i know that the regulator regulates the amount fuel being sent to the motor but what is the sensor for... and does any one know where the sensor is located on a 99 accord and how hard will it be to replace it

Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Default RE: fuel tank pressure sensor

My first question is going to be what code you got that said the sensor was bad or why you think that's the issue? Are you sure it wasn't just a loose gas cap that threw the code?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i pulled a P1457 i already had the car checked out and every thing passed and the only two options that remain are.. the sensor ismalfunctioning or the PCM ismalfuctioning..so i just want to see where the sensor is located and how hard it would be to replace it.. i know they run about 100 bucks so if i can replace it myself theres no labor charge.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

It's on the top of the gas tank. The Helm book says you gotta drop the tank to get at that sensor.

Nasty, I've been in his other thread where the rest of the story is laid out...

Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: djfunkyfritz

ok so what is the differance between a fuel tank pressure sensor and a fuel pressure regulator.. i know that the regulator regulates the amount fuel being sent to the motor but what is the sensor for...
The fuel pressure regulator controlls fuel pressure to the engine. It does this to more precisely control the metering of fuel.

The fuel tank pressure sensor monitors tank vapor pressure. The ecu uses it's input to determine if there is a vapor leak in the tank or canister systems.

ORIGINAL: djfunkyfritz

and does any one know where the sensor is located on a 99 accord and how hard will it be to replace it
It's on the evap canister just in front of the gas tank.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

It's on the evap canister just in front of the gas tank.
OOPS... You're right, its on the canister not on the tank. I don't know what I was thinking about.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

alright.. well besides the dealer... does any one know where i can find the sensor? ive been looking but no luck yet... if not ill call the dealer.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

never mind.. i found them at autozone... i swear it was not there the other day... ok so is it pretty easy to locate the canister?sensor... is it a pretty easy replacment or is there a lot to it

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

When mine threw P1457, it was a valve that I could remove. I didn't have to remove the canister out of the car. That looks like it would be a chore, with not really a lot of room to get your tools or fingers in to work.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

The sensor is #36. It's positioned just forward of the canister, above the 2-way valve (which is #14).

Quick Reply: fuel tank pressure sensor