Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

is this a good oil filter/oil combo

Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Default is this a good oil filter/oil combo

hey all, this might be a stupid question, but is castrol GTX high mileage (SAE 10W-30) and a K&N oil filter a good setup for as many miles as I have on my ride? thanx for your input.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Default RE: is this a good oil filter/oil combo

i have an 98 honda accord with 105,000 and i change my oil every 3000-4000 miles with either 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic or sometimes Penzoil Platnim Full Synthetic. i've also used regular oil before but i notice when using Synthetic oil, the car is quieter/smoother when engine just starting and a more power and , especially when accellating. i would highly recommand Mobil 1 or any other full synthetic oil but if all else fails, the next best thing to use is you are right, Castrol GTX high mileage, i also use that before. now to the oil filter, if you change ur oil every 3000-4000 miles, there is no reason to use an expensive oil filter like K&N, i would go with a regular one and change the oil every 3000- 4000 miles. well goodluck!!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM

thanx for the info, I would go synthetec, but im afraid the gaskets would leak. I just got done installing all the things and i'm thinking about getting the 40.00 K&N oem fit filter tommorrow. For some reason, I now notice a small squeeling sound in the background but in consistant intervals. It pulsates to the engine vibrations. Anyone know what this might be?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 PM

belt slipping? what did you just get done installing?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:23 PM

just oil+oil filter. The sound is comming from the rear left of the engine if your looking at it when you open he hood. Like near the intake manifold.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM

the most likely cause (depending on when it happens) would either be the distributor cap/rotor assembly, distributor itself or a squeky tranny mount on that side that should only squeek when the engine rocks a little bit and should be fairly easy to discern....

Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 PM

if its a cap, can I just replace it and rotor button and the sqeak will be gone? Also, if I buy a new fuel filter, should I be able to tell a difference in performance?
Things to buy this week:
Disty. Cap
Fuel filter
air filter
any suggestions on brands? thanx

Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 AM

so no Beck/Arnley or aftermarket? just factory?

Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM

alright, I bought duralast cap and rotor today. Installation was a pain, getting to the screw behind everything especially since it was locked up. But everything is replaced, electrical wise.Maybe fuel filter or air filter tommorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is this a good oil filter/oil combo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.