Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   H22A swap legality (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/h22a-swap-legality-6944/)

zexkid37 01-20-2007 10:43 AM

RE: H22A swap legality

Hey poser_pilot6, The overheating originally was thought to be a warped head, after the head went through the machine shop DRT indicated that it wasn't the head. It turned out to be a sensor, which I believed to be the oil sending unit or something to that effect. It is a sensor that is threaded directly into the block above the oil filter, which was leaking. The sensor doesn't seem to show up in h22a1 diagrams at the dealership and no one seemed to able to replace that part. The part that they give you is this little button, which is the actual sensor not the threaded portion. That car overheated from the day I drove it home till the day I got rid of it. The ecu was from a 95 USDM h22a1, JDM ecu's don't have emission components built in which make them useless in a state like NY, I just think as far as the half axels are concerned that the h22 does fit into a 4 gen's chasis but doesn't actually sit the same as the f22. For instance if you where to measure the angle in which the half axle makes coming from the transmission to the wheel hub using the f22 it is different then when an h22 is in place, the h22 having more of an angle, this to me constantly caused the joint to be destroyed. Yeah I guess you could go out and buy aftermarket half axles, but by the time all is said and done you have just spend easily 5-7K and with problems that can't be forseen until the car has it's swap and is actually running, this swap can easily start to hit the 10K mark. A turbo with a good tuner would be a much better choice in my opinion. I may feel this way 'cuse of the bad expierence with swapping, but if you are not a mechanic with a lift, tools, and fabrication equipment, and know how it is just down right expensive. You could buy a used s2000 in the under 15K range these days, which is a hell of a lot more fun then a swap and you can go topless!

legionofone 01-20-2007 05:45 PM

ummm just FYI if u were throwing a EGR code and u were overheating... chances are its because of the EGR... or lack of it... EGR cools the engine... and running the JDM engine with a USDM ECU was definately a bad idea... hondata and piggy back the sucker...

zexkid37 01-20-2007 08:32 PM

Ah, not really sure how true it is that an EGR system is used as a cooling mechanism these days it might have a little impact on mpg and yes a correctly working EGR will lower combustion tempature, but it alone will not cause a car to overheat. It was the fact of the oil sending unit plug was leaking through the block, hence the system was not under the correct pressure causing coolant to evaporate, air to enter the system and in the end overheat. Yes I would agree that a hondata system would have been something to look into, however I had done this swap over 10 years back in '97, hondata, correct me if I'm wrong was just really entering the ecu modification seen. Just curious for what reason do you feel that running a JDM motor with USDM ecu is so bad? Here is a pretty good like describing the evolution of EGR systems.
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

legionofone 01-20-2007 11:52 PM

trust me i know the working of EGR... i get to replace them :)

the entire idea of a EGR system is to keep the combustion temp from reaching 2500degrees (the temperature that nitrogen combusts and forms... NOx a key steping stone to smog)

zexkid37 01-21-2007 11:47 AM

I choose not to trust you! Make a compeling argument backed by some facts and I will consider your argument. You provide nothing but `trust me`, which that and a $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. And wow, you replace EGR's, you take both bolts off with no help, come on man, it's not as if you engineered the system. I don't mean to be rude about this but you provide nothing but buzz words with no substance. I'm still waiting for your reply to my question about ecu's, I hope your not going to say `trust me`

marbro 01-21-2007 01:34 PM

but..... if you have had a coffee maker for over a year and you buy cheap coffee you can make it for a lot less then a dollar a cup...... i dont know where youve been going but you got ripped off zexkid ^_-

and i would say you shouldnt run a jdm motor with a stock usdm ecu because of that fact they use different fuel maps, which means you would be either running richer or leaner then you should be...

zexkid37 01-21-2007 03:04 PM

Ha yeah, It's just so much easier to go to 7-11 on the way to work to get a cup of coffee, worse yet coffee is free at work.

ejd715 01-22-2007 10:56 PM

It sounds like you had quite a few problems with your 92 accord. From what i hear, the h22A swap works better inthe 94-97 accord. Better center of gravity? I dunno.

marbro 01-23-2007 01:13 AM

i think accords were larger in general for the 94-97

Shadow1992 01-23-2007 08:27 PM

Ok, think things got off topic. basically what I wanted to know about swapping in the h22 was what emssions components were required, and would they need to be for the h22 or can I keep my f22 parts? And as for zexkid37's issues:

1) you needed prelude shafts, nothe accords
2) the h22 does weigh more, about 100 lbs more
3) and last, unless you won't be doing more mods and spending 10k+, then a swap is a bad choice