Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   H22A swap legality (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/h22a-swap-legality-6944/)

zexkid37 01-23-2007 09:37 PM

RE: H22A swap legality

The point to my rant is that the h22 swap is nothing but a headache, you will always have EGR/emissions problems, and it's just the begining. I suggest to anyone thinking of doing this swap to really think about. Take it from someone who has been down this road before it's not for the fant at heart.

Shadow1992 01-24-2007 12:42 AM

We know you had issues with yours. But that doesn't mean everyone will. Further more to say it's always a headache and you will always have problems is a bit of a broad declaration. And for it to be valid, a personwould have to have extensive expertise in engine swaps. ALso this swap is a fairly common and popular one, andif the problems you say occur every time, then it wouldn't be. There are many members of this site and other sites that have done this swap and maintain the vehicle in legal, daily driving condition.

zexkid37 01-24-2007 10:14 AM

My swap was done over 10years ago in 1996, It was a headache, They are actually called "Ghetto Sleds" were I'm from, I haven't heard a single comment on this board from a person who has done this swap, a lot of "my friend this" and "trust me" but, I'm just letting you know from the perspective of a person who has actually done this swap before. This is an old swap, Your going to take motor thats 10-15 years old put it into a car that it was never supposed to be in and expect it to last. Why not just buy a prelude to begin with! I encourage you to do it, don't let one persons bad expierence discourage any of you. In 3 years we can have the same conversation and we can compare costs and if the car is still running. Good luck man, wish you the best!

marbro 01-25-2007 02:33 AM

naw, headswap a h22 or h23 and bore it out 90mm and tuning and you have over 200whp ^_^ merry christmas less money and less work

my2khonda 02-06-2007 05:41 PM

The only thing they really look at when its if its legal or not is the year of the vehicle and year of the engine. Yes, it is at sometimes illegal to swap a motor. If themotor is older then the car it is being swapped into, it is. But say you have a 95 accord and you want to swap a H22 in it, your fine. Mine however is not legal, but they never check for those things. I have a 2000 accord with a 95 J-Spec Prelude motor in it.

legionofone 02-06-2007 07:33 PM

actualy we discussed this in class (wyotech)

any motor swap... no matter what... is completely illegal... becuase the goverment has never verifyed (crash testing and so on) that cars configuration for street use...

marbro 02-06-2007 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

actualy we discussed this in class (wyotech)

any motor swap... no matter what... is completely illegal... becuase the goverment has never verifyed (crash testing and so on) that cars configuration for street use...

now this is moremore likelythen just saying the swap of an older engine into a newer car is illegal, because if you can get it to pass the states emissions tests how exactly is it illegal? This is ignoring the fact that you never hear of anyone being fined for doing engine swaps other then in california but things going on that state are becoming beyond stupid

legionofone 02-07-2007 01:12 AM

its the same way with skylines and certain ferarris u cant have them here because they dont have the front side and rear impact saftey certifiations... basicly it takes 3 identical cars to run the tests and verify that they are up to the goverments standards u can make ANY car street legal if u plan on building 4 of them :) 3 to crash and 1 to drive

marbro 02-07-2007 06:30 AM

which should tell everyone, dont do an engine swap, do a head swap! ^_^

poser_pilot6 02-07-2007 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

its the same way with skylines and certain ferarris u cant have them here because they dont have the front side and rear impact saftey certifiations... basicly it takes 3 identical cars to run the tests and verify that they are up to the goverments standards u can make ANY car street legal if u plan on building 4 of them :) 3 to crash and 1 to drive
Well, you actually can get a Skyline here in the US. A company called Motorex imports them. They're street legal.