Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

HELP PLS - Did timing belt - now engine is not smooth at idle/under power

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Default HELP PLS - Did timing belt - now engine is not smooth at idle/under power

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been reading and did my searches and am sure this has probably been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it. I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX 4CYL that I changed the timing belt myself about a month ago, now my engine has a few problems specified below.
* At idle, I notice a vibration coming from the engine. Its on and off/comes and goes. Feels like the idle was too low at times. I thought it was the TPS but its not. If I rev a bit, the vibration goes away.
* When driving, I noticed if I pree the clutch (Sometimes I let the car coast as I approach a drive way) the car dies and of course when I let clutch go again engine keeps going again. (This only happens sometimes but when it doesnt happen, it shoud feels like it wants to die).
* Car is UNDER Power from take off to maybe 2500RPM then it feels normal.
Me and my co-worker who does work on cars all the time thinks that Timing is off. I know for a fact that one of the lines on one of the pulleys where the balancer belt goes was not alligned, but because I could not put the belt without that staying right where I left it. What does the balancer belt do? From looking at the Crankshaft Pulley and Timing gear now, they all line up fine. I am just trying to make sure if its the timing then I will take the time to redo it. Has anyone on the forum had this problem? I am just trying to make sure I don't take all that apart to find out it was something very simple.

Thank you!

Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Default RE: HELP PLS - Did timing belt - now engine is not smooth at idle/under power

I would agree that it sounds like a timing issue, have you use a timing light to check it? Pull off the upper timing belt cover and make sure that it all lines up, if it doesn't then it's not going to work right...

Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: HELP PLS - Did timing belt - now engine is not smooth at idle/under power

I have not used a timing light yet. I do know the cam gear and crank shaft pulley line up.
I will have to check the timing with the light and see.