General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP PLS -- TIMING BELT

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Brig
Unregistered
Default NEED HELP PLS -- TIMING BELT

Hello, new to forum. I had timing belt changed @ 105,000 on my 2002 accord se 4 cyl about a month ago by local honda dealership. Car running perfect before belts changed, but now it does not idle correctly. Vibration coming and going at idle and at times, feels like it wants to cut off. Once driving, vibration goes away and drives as normal. Feels like car doesn't have enough power. I took car back to dealership with information and they suggested problems w/alternator, battery and everything else but the belts.Carloses powereven when I roll down power window when idling in park.I had the alternator and battery tested by another shop and mechs said nothing wrong with either.Shop mechs said it could possibly be the balancer shaft belt is not adjusted properly (off a tooth).Again, I have taken car back to dealership and they are again going after everything else, but possibly checking the belts even after I suggested the balancer belt being misaligned. They have hadfor a day and tech drove 30 miles and didn't feel anything. Car drove as normal. They are keeping for another day to try and feel the vibration and when I suggest them looking at the belts again, I get the biggest runaround. I am at a loss and don't want to have the car run fine for awhile only to take it back to them over and over again. Does this sound normal or is there another way they can check (timing light) to see what is causing problem. Tired of arguing with service advisors as to what needs to be done. Any suggestion/comments are welcomed. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: NEED HELP PLS -- TIMING BELT

The phone number to Honda Customer Care is in the owners manual. Toll Free Number
Have your receipts and work order number in hand, tech number would also be good to have.
You can request a meeting with the dealership service manager and if that leads nowhere, you can then ask to meet with the District Service Manager.
Formally called "Request for DSM Review". Trust me "IT" hits the fan when the DSM is involved.
When you meet with the Service Manager pointedly & repeatedlyask exactly why they won't recheck their work on the Timing Belt Job.
From your description of the problem it does sound like the timing/balancer belt is off.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

x2^

sounds like timing is off if the problem is at idle.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's the old "lets hold out and see if he'll just go away" routine. Works a lot, so why not! Stick to your guns, firm and forceful to let them know you won't be mollified w/ "we can't reproduce the problem".

good luck

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

damn, what dealer do you guys go to??? hearing stuff like this is just wrong.