Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

horsepower please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Default horsepower please

okay i just got me a 1994 honda accord EX
im needing to know... where i start on the horsepower, is there a order that i need to follow on installing items, what should i put on first? and what is your recomended brands
but im on a pretty tight budget
please help!!

Old 03-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Default RE: horsepower please

there isn't a set order on what you should do. But ask yourself this question. How much power do you want in the end? If you want some significant power, then I suggest you start piecing up a turbo kit. While you piece it together you could put a cat back system on your car to incease power, and throw on a short ram for extra pop. You may be pieceing together the kit for months (depending on what you can spend), but in the end your car will have wayyy more power than the next option. You could expect to gain at least 80 hp, and more depending on your boost levels.

Now if you just want a little bit more power, then you may want to start off with a cold air intake and do a headers back type exhaust. You don't have to do these things all at once either. You could also do the ignition system down the road to help give the car some more response. And if that's not enough, there are a few good naturally aspirated cams out there for your motor which will really light it up. Save your old cam though, if you plan to turbo. You could probably gain a good 50 hp with a cold air, headers back exhaust, and a good cam. Possibly more.

And I'm sure you'll want to lower it and put on some better shocks at some point. That will really make your car fun to drive. Just do things little by little as your budget allows and you'll get your car where you want it.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:07 AM

i have most all of that done to my 94 EX and i enjoy the hell out of it, but i want more!
so i am going to do a motor swap later on. not sure if i'm going with the F20B or H22A yet. with all that suff described above; i can get my automatic in the 10's in the 1/8. the cam is the only thing i dont have.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 AM

thank you very much for your answers, thats exactly what i was needing to hear
would you recoment a cai or a short ram though? ive read alot of forums and they seem to glorify both types... and if so what brands?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM

cold air!!!
aem makes 2 good ones and also Injen makes a good one.
go on ebay that's where they are the cheapest, there are alsoo some cheap nock offs on there so be careful. oh and make sure theey have GOOD feedback

Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

cold air works on the sole principle of colder air and more flow, which is denser, so more oxygen is sucked in which the computer realizes......sending more fuel into the combustion chamber. a short ram works on the principle of more flow and sound, and when crusing....the temp under hood is not much more than ambient. either model....if they use a metal tube that is not wrapped, will get extremely hot after a while and neither will suck in cold air anymore because the tube will act like a heater. the aem v2 is a cold air intake that factors sound into the equation and the tube is insulated....its my favorite cold air, but i like short rams the best. if every mod you do to the car (intake header exhaust etc.) uses sound as the primary motive. your hp is going to be stirring

Old 03-22-2006, 05:05 PM

thank you very much everyone...
and sorry if any of my lingo is incorrect im new to the forum and to honda so im still learning alot
thank you again

Old 03-22-2006, 05:13 PM

okay now im seeing a possible problem... my wallet is pretty thin... im able to play with about 150-200

Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM

I've got the same car and there is a short ram air intake on e-bay for $40.00 shipped, I'd start there... I'm in the exact same boat as you.... low cash, same car.... Basically either go with a short ram and some nology or ngk wires and plugs and start saving, or get the short ram and a couple of strut tower bars for a small increase in handling or option three (this is my plan...) the short ram and save for a DC Sports Header (about $450.00)

Old 03-22-2006, 06:56 PM

i myself do not like short ram. i've only got about 700 in my car engine wise and i did that in alittle over a year and i didnt buy anything cheap; i just bought name brand off ebay. now suspension thats another story i got about 1300 in everything but some stuff didcome off ebay. so just shop around and be patient......that's the key.

Quick Reply: horsepower please