Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How do I check TiminG

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Default How do I check TiminG

This might be the wrong section but there seems to be more traffic here
Im guna need to check and or adjust my timing here soon on my 93LX
and of all the things ive done ive never done timing before

ive searched but couldnt find anything

if sumone could just give me a quick walk through id much appreciate it...
thanks guys

Old 08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How do I check TiminG

you just need a timing light....shine it on the indicator and then turn the distributor left or rightto change it, but you should never have to time it unless you had to change out the distributor.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: lightshow
but you should never have to time it unless you had to change out the distributor.
Or if you put a timing belt on it.

The access hole to check the timing is between the engine and trans above the seriel number. You have to remove the rubber plug.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

ORIGINAL: lightshow
but you should never have to time it unless you had to change out the distributor.
Or if you put a timing belt on it.

The access hole to check the timing is between the engine and trans above the seriel number. You have to remove the rubber plug.

So im aiming the gun inbetween the engine and the trans??? also how do i adjust it at the distributor?? what am i turning... do i take the black case off the distributor to do this? Sorry im alil lost on this one

Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM

Not a problem it doesn't make sense unless you've done it before.... so here goes...

Find the split/line where the transmission meets the motor and follow along it towards the front of the car and you'll see a little rubber plug (it may have already fallen out or been removed...) remove that plug. Now hook up your timing light and shine it through that hole you'll see a little line (typically it's white or red) that shows up when the light flashes (be sure you're on the #1 plug wire with the gun which is usually the far left as you face the engine) now off to the right of that little light you'll see something like a point (resembles the head of an arrow) the line should be in line with that point for the most part (it jumps around a bit but for the most part it lines up) if you need to adjust it that's where the distributor comes into play.

Adjustment: under the distributor (the black cap that you spoke of) you'll see a little bolt that is either a 10 or 12 mm bolt that holds a plate on and connects to the distributor. Loosen that bolt and it will allow you to rotate that black cap. Rotate that black cap at VERY small incriments and you'll see the line move forward or backwards depending on which way you rotate it. Once it's in line tighten down the bolt, replace the rubber cap and you're done!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Not a problem it doesn't make sense unless you've done it before.... so here goes...

Find the split/line where the transmission meets the motor and follow along it towards the front of the car and you'll see a little rubber plug (it may have already fallen out or been removed...) remove that plug. Now hook up your timing light and shine it through that hole you'll see a little line (typically it's white or red) that shows up when the light flashes (be sure you're on the #1 plug wire with the gun which is usually the far left as you face the engine) now off to the right of that little light you'll see something like a point (resembles the head of an arrow) the line should be in line with that point for the most part (it jumps around a bit but for the most part it lines up) if you need to adjust it that's where the distributor comes into play.

Adjustment: under the distributor (the black cap that you spoke of) you'll see a little bolt that is either a 10 or 12 mm bolt that holds a plate on and connects to the distributor. Loosen that bolt and it will allow you to rotate that black cap. Rotate that black cap at VERY small incriments and you'll see the line move forward or backwards depending on which way you rotate it. Once it's in line tighten down the bolt, replace the rubber cap and you're done!
thank you nasty

Old 11-22-2006, 03:05 PM

I am new with Honda accords. this is great forums where we learn a lot and thanks to every body who had give us great inputs. I have never done anything with the timing. My 97 accord SE might have same problem as this(set up the timing). I have timing belt and balancer belt changed by the local shop (when I bought this car used at 184000 miles, belt was never changed since previous owner had told me). I am feeling under power on the engine after the belt being replaced. Specially I am feeling low power at low speed(from 0 to 40 miles). Engine seems to have less power (compare to power before timing belt change) at low speed. At the higher speed around 60 to 70 mph car seems to work ok. I already have replaced the spark plug, wires and distribution cap (same time when replaced the belt). You think it is timing or the distribution cap itself. If it is timing problem, is this the same procedure to do as you described in this thread??? Really appreciated it for your help.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 PM

to check your timing just go through the steps listed above and that will tell you if it's the culprit or not

Old 11-23-2006, 02:11 AM

to check your timing just go through the steps listed above and that will tell you if it's the culprit or not
Looks like we forgot the part about jumping the service check connector.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:00 PM

Where is this service check connector located and how one can jump it out !!!
ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Looks like we forgot the part about jumping the service check connector.

Quick Reply: How do I check TiminG