Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How do you change the transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Default How do you change the transmission fluid?

Does anyone know how to change the transmission fluid on a 01 Honda Accord EXF23A4? Its automatic if you guys are wondering. Also how much milage would you wait for to change the transmission fluid? 12,000?

I know theres something where theres like 2 bolts on the transmission
ones like the fluid filler plug and the others a drain plug. Does anyone have pics of how to do it? Any pics of just pointing out what to do and where would be great.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:16 AM
Default RE: How do you change the transmission fluid?

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I'll assume since you are asking this you plan on doign the maintenance on the car yourself...so you may want to go to an Autozone or Advance and get yourself a repair manual liek from Haynes.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 AM

Yeah already have one kinda, but like does anyone have lyk any detailed pics or what ever? and also how much transmission fluid should i put? like how many quarts? also what kind of transmission fluid should I use? any synthetic blends?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 AM

downsize that sig plz

Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 PM

its on the passger side of the car, all you need a oil bucket and you have to usea rachet. There no bolt its the actaully rachet that you use to lossen the bolt. Just drain and refill. Also only use honda ATF fluid.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Electron Man
Unregistered

Completed a "partial" ATF change last weekend on a 99 Accord 2.3L I4. Decided it was time because the transmission seemed reluctant to change out of first gear below ~2200rpm (It used to change around ~2000rpm). Here are my notes...

First, you'll need three quarts of Honda ATF-Z1 auto transmission fluid (no other brand or type will do) from your local Honda/Acura dealer (I paid ~$6 / quart).

To extract the old fluid, I chose to use a Mityvac fluid evacuator (model # 07400 http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp) since I had one on hand and I couldn't locate a drain plug on the underside of the transmission case.

Procedure:
Park the car with the front end on a slope facing downward (or back the rear end of car onto ramps) if possible...this helps the AT fluid move towards the dipstick hole. Set parking brake. Remove the ATF dipstick and begin extracting fluid. I was able to extract exactly 3 quarts of the used fluid* with the front end facing downhill.

After the old fluid is out, place a long black funnel in the transmission dipstick hole and add three quarts of the new fluid. Crank the engine and allow to idle for a couple of minutes prior to normal driving.

Change it today and say goodbye jerky 1->2 shifting...your drive shafts and CV joints will thank you!!!

[align=left] *The used fluid had seen ~65K miles of continuous use...should've changed it at 30K, but just found out. Color of the used fluid was close to that of your favorite mug of strong coffee (dark brown); compare this with the cough syrup pink of the fresh ATF-Z1 fluid. Viscosity of the used fluid seemed close to that of water. New ATF-Z1 was quite a bit thicker...like cold cough syrup.[/align]

Old 03-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Drain plug on the automatic is farther forward. Rather than being under the axle, it's about a foot forward, but still facing towards the right side of the car.

The drain plug has a magnet, so if you suck the fluid out, you can't wipe off that magnet & look at what's stuck to it.

The torque converter doesn't drain, so you only get about 1/3 of the fluid. Since it was dirty, you might want to drain/fill it again a couple more times. Drive around in-between & keep doing it until it's clean.