General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Default 1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

"1998 Accord L/X, 4dr, F23A1, 2.3/4Cyl. automatic" (Currently 108K, unknown if fluids were ever changed)
HiYa, I checked DIYfor any proceedure but nothing exact for myyear, so here goes. #1,Whats the best way to change the automatic trans fluid &how much isrequired for re-fill ?#2, Is there a "fill" port or do you fill through the dipstick? #3, To obtain the proper level, do you have to "run through the gears" or is a "static" fill OK? Also, the sameadvise is neededon changingthe power steering fluid?
Thanks again for having a GREAT SITE !

Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Default RE: 1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

The trans fluid change(if it is an Automatic transmission): Drain fluid, refill through the dipstick hole, drive it, cycle through the gears, drain again, refill again, drive again, drain again, refill again, done. You have to do it 3 times as each "drain" only truly drains about 1/3 of the fluid.
The auto trans attached to the F23A1 has a 5 pint capacity.
Power steering - there is no maintenance interval that I am aware of.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Default RE: 1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

Even w/o the power steering fluid having a recommended service interval, I still think it's a good idea to replace it. Over time moisture will get in the system, and reduce the life of it.

Same with the brake fluid. All the rubber seals will thank you.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: peter4jc

Even w/o the power steering fluid having a recommended service interval, I still think it's a good idea to replace it. Over time moisture will get in the system, and reduce the life of it.

Same with the brake fluid. All the rubber seals will thank you.
I agree wholeheartedly. However I did not have any advice to give on the p/s fluid change as I have never changed mine nor do I know the procedure. I need to find out though. I imagine youwould just suckthe old fluid outof the reservoirwith a turkey baster and bleed the rest out of the system as you would do with the brake fluid? It would probably be a good idea to change mine in both of my Hondas.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM

I went to the dealer and had p/s fluid and brake fluid changes for around 50.00. Dealer will charge you 40.00 for transmission fluid, you can diy it for around 20.00 depending on how much the dealer charges for the fluid.

Here is what you do for the auto trans fluid change:

Jack the car up and put it on jack stands
Find the drain plug (picture) and take a 3/8's ratchet to open it (make sure to pull towards the front of your car...i may or may not have made this mistake)
Let it drain. While draining clean off plug and put a new washer thingy.
Put the plug back on securetly (don't know the torque specs)
Refill through dipstick in the engine bay, near the battery. (only use honda atf 3 quarts)

00 has advised what to do after that. I would say to do it every 12,000 miles, but that's just me. These trannies are not the most well built. Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5775/63932D627B594CBCB2B093F778CC2E34.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

1998 F23A1 auto tranny:
Total capacity = 6.6quarts
Drain & fill= 2.6quarts
Look at what drains out & use your judgement about how many drain/fill exercises you want to do.

------

PS fluid can't last forever, regardless that there's no scheduled interval.

Lift & support the front of the car.
There's a PS fluid cooler out in front of the radiator. It's simply a piece of steel tube bent back to itself in a sort of loop. There's a section of rubber hose with clamps somewhere low below the PS pump. Open that hose & drain into a bucket.
Steer back & forth - that'll push more fluid out of that hose. This will probably work even without the engine running. Keep doing that until no more fluid comes out.

Remove & clean the PS fluid reservoir. Down low there's a fine screen that's usually submerged in fluid.

Put it all back together & fill. Start the engine & turn the steering back & forth. Stop the engine immediately. The fluid will be foamy. When the foam settles down, fill the reservoir. Repeat until it's mostly non-foamy. Lower the car & watch the foaming. It may take awhile to completely settle out.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Thanks Jim! Can't belive it's that easy or at least sounds that easy. Oh well, at least when I paid for it at the dealer I got some free snacks and got to watch tv. lol

Old 10-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Hey everyone, I just started to read the replies to my questions. Thanks to all, of course. Now , another puzzler. If the DIY process only drains 1/3 of the total fluid & you must repeat the draining cycle up to "3" times to flush completely, what does the HONDA dealer do when they change the fluid? I mean I would not mind doing one change properly, but to do it 3 times, "yikes!" So, does the HONDA dealer "flush" the tranny to get all the fluid out, orare they doing it just likethe DIY process of only changing out 1/3 rdof the fluid? Thanks again!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 PM

My local honda dealer told me they don't flush trannies because it's bad news bears. Don't know about all dealers though.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Honda trannies do not like to be flushed!!!!! Drain only!!!

Most likely they will change a third of the fluid. Note that the 3 changes is a dilution process and the result still leaves 30% dirty fluid.

4 changes = 20%
5 changes = 13%
6 changes = 8.7%
7 changes = 5.8 %
8 changes = 3.9%

Sucks, but we can't power purge!

Quick Reply: 1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change