General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Default RE: 1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

I've been waiting for someone to say that the 3 drains won't get the fluid completely clean or "changed." I have suspected this ever since I read that procedure a while back. Oh well....just do the best you can
No transmission likes to be "power flushed."Thisdoes not only apply to Hondas. These shops like PepBoys that do the flushes often RUIN transmissions because of the whole flushing process. I am seriously surprised they still offer the service. I guess people just thing that if the techs at PepBoys tell them it's good for their car and it costs $60 then they should do it.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1998 Accord / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change

It's not as bad as you'd think on a standard auto tranny. Honda auto trannies are built similar to manuals and are pretty unique in this design. I'm not sure what the power flush dammages, but I haven't heard of many problems on other manufacturers' cars.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM

I've seen it ruin a Ford transmission in one of the Auto Shops my company insures.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

One here and there I'd discount, but I know that Hondas don't like it. Even so, I wouldn't recommend it, just that the dilution method isn't really a good technique IMO. If it werent such a PITA, I'd try the running drain method that someone posted that he does on his bike, but it is a PITA and if the helper isn't quick, it can be problematic. Also takes a lot of fluid.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM

My stepson has a 2002 Honda Accord 2.3L 4 Cyl. It's time to do an automatic transmission fluid change and I've read many threads on how to DIY. The dealer did the change previously. -- I have read other posts about this procedure and I know that this generation Accord has a bad reputation when it comes to the AT. I see where it's often recommended to do a drain/fill 3 times within a short period of time. My question is related: is there a stock transmission filter for this model that needs to be replaced as part of normal servicing for this tranny? -thanks

Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

The filter/screen inside the transmission requires dismantling the trans to change it. There isn't a "pan" you can remove. So that one is not a routine replacement. You do that with rebuilding the transmission.

For 2002 I don't think there's an in-line filter, but take a look along the 2 hoses that take ATF to the radiator & back. Something tells me there might be an in-line filter as part of a repair or rebuild of the transmission.

The 3x drain/fill is because you can only drain about 1/3 of the total fluid. But if the first drain/fill comes out pretty clean, you might not need any more. One way to do this over the long term, is to establish a schedule where the fluid doesn't have a chance to get very dirty in the first place.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 PM

OK Jim - thank you for your feedback on my post. I haven't had a chance yet but I will take a look along the 2 hoses that take ATF to the radiator & back. If there is no in-line filter I am thinking to install a Magnefine filter or something similar. -- I am concerned with other posts I have read about numerous tranny failures with this 6th gen Accord so I want to change or add an in-line AT filter to help avoid potential future problems.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Default 6th Generation in-line AT filter

OK - I checked the 2 hoses that take ATF to the radiator & back and there is no in-line AT filter on the 2002 Accord 2.3L. As I mentioned I am planning to add a Magnefine AT filter very soon. As the 2 hoses go back from the radiator to the transmission case the return line seems to be the one on the right. -- Update: I am posting a photo from Oct. 18 showing the installation of the Magnefine filter that I mentioned above for a 2002 Accord 2.3L. The installation was a bit tough with limited space available but the filter fit perfectly in the end. Note: I did verify the AT flow direction on the hose with my stepson's help prior to installing this filter.

Attached Thumbnails  1998 Accord  / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change-img_3116c.jpg  

Last edited by John_W; 10-23-2015 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

The return line to the trans is the one on the left drivers side of the car. Note this pic is for flushing the trans cooler and is "reverse" flushing it. As you read the text it talks about the return and inlet of the trans cooler.

Attached Thumbnails  1998 Accord  / auto- trans fluid change & power steering fluid change-6th-gen-4-cyl-trans-cooler-flush.jpg