General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Default How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans change?

HiYa, All.... I just got a 98 Accord LX 4 Cyl. automatic. This car is just TOO COOL! I'm gettin 30MPG on the highway and lovin every minute of it. It's at 91K... and I do not know the previous owner nor any service records. Thanks to this site, I realize the timing belt & trans fluid (Honda brand) should be changed. I would like to ask anyone what the usual cost would be for this at the "yikes" Honda Dealer? Thank you.... ( I should of bought one of these SOONER!)

Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Default RE: How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans change?

they will not just replace the timing belt, most will replace the other drivebelts, timing belt, water pump, crankshaft oil seal and a couple others, that usually runs around 5-600 bucks

Old 10-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans change?

about $700 at your local honda dealer and this includes water pump drive belts and any other wearable items

Old 10-08-2006, 05:15 AM

the price depends on which city and state you live ////// .. but like YEU said at a dealer will be around 650-700..
and what they all replace with the job..

some dealers might not replace the seals ( cam, balancer, crank) .
any shops that specialize in Hondas in your area?? if so give them a call,, sometimes they might run a special.. and make sure they use HONDA factory parts

Old 10-08-2006, 05:17 AM

there is one dealer in my area richfield honda that charges a WHOPPING $900 if you want the water pump and $700 without.......talk about getting reamed in the rear...Needless to say they do not get much service work.....

Old 10-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Default RE: How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans chang

WOW......now that's a lot of money for the job ......it is a major RIP OFF
200 extra for the water pump ?? heck it is held on by 4 bolts. it takes 10 extra minutes , if that . the pump is around 60-70 dollars and coolant cannot be more than 15 dollars ..

Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Default RE: How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans chang

or if you wanted to go the remanufactured route the water pump is only $32

Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

or if you wanted to go the remanufactured route the water pump is only $32
drummer.you got to be kidding me.....why would you take a chance and install a reman water pump just for a 30 -40 dollars savings??? if the water pump comes apart it is the same as the timing belt braking...
No offense amigo but i am shocked that you would even suggest that

Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 PM

sorry...there again from personal experience Ive never had an issue with remanned parts, Im running a remanned alternator in my accord now, I installed it a year and a half ago and its never given me any problem.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 AM

i just had my timing belt replaced from the honda dealer for $700 with tax. i want to do it myself but time and place plus it is my only ride,so i had to give in.the car runs great though.its a 96' accord with about 189,000 miles (4cyl vtec)at least i'm at ease knowing that problem has been fixed.

Quick Reply: How much is a reasonable dealer charge for a 98 Accord LX/timing belt change & auto trans change?