Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

how hard is it to... install cam/inspect head?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Default how hard is it to... install cam/inspect head?

i know you guys are probably getting sick of all of my questions but i guess heres another... how hard is it to remove the stock cam and or heads (theres a slight rattle/tick in my topend and id like to investigate it) thanks guys!

js
________
Ferrari 212 inter history

Last edited by no_doz; 03-11-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Default RE: how hard is it to... install cam/inspect head?

It's not super hard (as in you can leave the motor in the car). You'll need to take off the valve cover for starters. Then you'll need to take off the crank bolt and remove the timing belt covers. Then, off go the accessory belts, crank pulley, balance shaft belt and timing belts. Then you'll need to remove the distributor and then the head bolts. I would really enlist the help of a hanyes manual for the car, just to help in case things get messy... The crank bolt can be a PAIN, so some air tools or a nice cheater bar will be needed.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: no_doz

i know you guys are probably getting sick of all of my questions but i guess heres another... how hard is it to remove the stock cam and or heads (theres a slight rattle/tick in my topend and id like to investigate it) thanks guys!

js

why would you want to remove the cam ?? and above all the head ?? the ticking noise could be just loose valves,, I would chk the valve lash,, do an adjustment if needed before anything else ...........NOW this is assuming you got a 4 cyl,, v6 is a different story but since i do not know year and model .. i am just going to asume it is a 4 cyl........
In the DIY section there is a write up on hot to adjust valves ...

And as for MBO........ my friend you DO NOT have to do anything with the lower end of the car to remove the cylinder head....you can just remove valve cover, the top t-belt cover and slip the t-belt off the cam pulley , just loosen up the t-belt adjuster nut,, it will make it easier to reinstall the belt on the pulley ..

Old 06-11-2006, 11:42 PM

And as for MBO........ my friend you DO NOT have to do anything with the lower end of the car to remove the cylinder head....you can just remove valve cover, the top t-belt cover and slip the t-belt off the cam pulley , just loosen up the t-belt adjuster nut,, it will make it easier to reinstall the belt on the pulley ..
Yeah, my fault; forgot about that. I'm rebuilding an F22 right now so I'm in tear-it-down mode.