Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

How to tell if you need a oil change?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Default RE: How to tell if you need a oil change?

ORIGINAL: falkore24

dude, the bus cost me $198 a month!!! the train from the same park and ride cost around $230 and the schedule $uck$. Plus I need my car. Luckily, the bus cuts me down to about 15-20 miles a day during the week (it was 10 miles before they moved the P&R in case anyone's wondering due to old posts)
For that kind of money they should report to the credit bureau how long you've had a bus pass.... that's more than some car payments I've had!

I can see it now. the bank looks at your credit and says "well, at least he pays his bus pass on time..."

Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24If you have foam in your oil you need a new head gasket because there's coolant getting in there.
I'll be the first to diagnos a head gasket, I've seen many.

I brought in a Ditch Witch Mini-Ex, and the mechanic checked the oil and went "Pheeew! You know the oil needs changed when you get those bubbles!"

It kinda looked like a fizzy soda on the dipstick(but straight black).

Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM

IF black smoke comes out exhuast Then you know your way over due or blue smoke dont rember which one.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Blue smoke means that you are burning the oil. Black smoke is usually from bad combustion like when the AF ratio is messed up. Needing an oil change shouldn't cause smoke.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Read the owners manual. If you use synthetic you can go much farther than 3000 miles. If you don't use synthetic you will probably be ok up to around 5000.

ORIGINAL: falkore24
For 15 bucks do you really want to risk your engine? Even 50 bucks for a good quality change!
hey, I can change my oil myself for around 15 bucks (If I buy the oil at WalMart) and I consider that a "good quality oil change"!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM

the 50 dollar referance is for synthetic oil. Good luck getting 3 qts of Royal Purple for 15 bucks.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM

No synthetic goes in my cars. I have always used Valvoline MaxLife since I've been taking care of them. You can get a 5 quart jug of it at WalMart for about $12. Purolator filter costs around $3 at Advance. With tax I guess it's more like $17 or so.
I'm not going to switch to synthetic cause I am afraid it may cause a leak to spring in a seal. MaxLife has some additives that swell the seals to prevent leaks. The money pit already leaks, so I sure don't need it to leak any worse.I think it is the oil pan gasket, but I don't want to deal with that now.I still can't believe how much oil these Honda engines take. My V8 mustang only tookaround 5 quarts. I still have to buy 5 quarts to change the oil in either of my accords!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: pham9006

so when i do my oil change, how can i do the reset?
They told me when mine was on, that you turn the car into the aux. mode.. two clicks( i think) then push in the trip odometer for like 3 seconds and it should re-set it....

Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Just wait till it comes on again on its own. Then turn the key to the on position but don't crank. Hold down the trip odometer till the light goes off, then crank car.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 PM

lol, falkore i was refering to the thread maker not you ^_- but considering the bus only.... which is what most people that use mass transit only have.... take a car payment, insurance and gas..... yeeeeeeeah.... bus = cheaper never said it was convenient... just said its cheaper..... but unless the car is paid for more people pay over 500 bucks a month to own a car not including yearly registration, monthly/quartarly maintenance, car washes (whether you use a carwash or you do it yourself at home) etc... yada yada the list goes on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tell if you need a oil change?