Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Intro to imports 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Default Intro to imports 101

After much research I have decided that this is the forum to begin this journey...since I will need some serious pointers.

Last week purchased a 94 Accord LX Coupe..decent shape motor was shot. Along with the car I bought an extra 2.2L to throw in while I attempt to rebuild the original.

Recommendations...thats what I am looking for. I want to stick with the 2.2L for the challenge of the build. Not planning on going crazy with it, just a nice intro build. I have messed with small block and big block american engines for years...but now I decided to try this import world.

So for starters, I have already put the running engine in and have no low end juice...its like it is starving until about 2K RPM's. I think the timing may have been off when I put it in so before I tear into that...any suggestions?

Will post pics soon as this project starts to take flight.

94 Accord LX Coupe...bone BUTT stock!!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

For your building needs you will need to decide if you want to boost it or stay N/A. The F22s can handle a lot of boost stock and make a ton of power. The F22 also currently holds the record for the fastest all motor 4 cylinder. So you can win either way, but the NA route is definitely more expensive. Check out bisimoto.com for all your f22 needs.

As for the power loss issue its hard to say, maybe its just that the engine only makes 130hp stock so there isnt any low end power? lol.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Since I have never boosted anything I am definitley going that route. The block and heads are at the machine shop now, getting cleaned and I am having the block bored .20 over...figured it would be a good simple start. Thanks for the website...lots of good stuff on there.

As far as the current issue with the lack of power, if i stomp the throttle it is a severe delay in reaction (2-3 seconds) before it revs up. Also...does the stock transmission tend to shift a little hard in the coupes? This one feels like it has a street/strip shift kit like a 700R tranny from an old muscle car.

Thanks again.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

This looks to be a good thread to follow , so I moved it to this forum..
Rice gives out alot of good info and will help keep you on the right path during your build..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Supper Moderator

I recommend doing a f22a head swap. The f22b2 head you have does not have a very good flow rate. The f22a head will swap on your f22b block with NO issue everything is the same. All f22 engines are the same just with different heads (with the exception of the f22c/ s2k engine)

Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 PM

I have heard about the f22a head swap from quite a few people...currently searching for one to rebuild. I will get some pictures up here soon...gotta warn you its pretty rough looking.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tattoosbybaker
I have already put the running engine in and have no low end juice...its like it is starving until about 2K RPM's. I think the timing may have been off when I put it in so before I tear into that...any suggestions?
For the build- You've got g22 and live2rice, they will be a great resouce for this.

For the issue you have, try two things.
1) Pull the upper tb cover, set the engine to tdc cyl#1. Check the cam and crank to be sure they line up.
2) Jump the service connector and then throw a timing light on it and see where the base timing is set.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by tattoosbybaker
I have heard about the f22a head swap from quite a few people...currently searching for one to rebuild. I will get some pictures up here soon...gotta warn you its pretty rough looking.
If you have a junk yard or pick n pull in your area check them out. If you can find the f22a6 it has the better cam shaft. Also make sure to pick up the ecu too.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Okay, timing reset...seemed to be off a couple teeth on the cam...good to go for now. Headed to Pull-A-Part this weekend to search for the F22a6 head and ECU per g22 advice. Picking up the block and old head on monday. Then will begin searching for a new crank (neccessary??) and some aftermarket guts (pistons, connecting rods, etc).
So far the only things I have decided on is the rebuild kit from RPM Machines, I know I have to talk to them about mixing and matching components with planning to use the f22a6 head...hope they are willing.

Bought a used Orion adjustable coilover kit from a fella in the area..$400 and it all looked pretty new. Pick that up tomorrow and hopefully install this weekend.

Gutted the interior and started some major cleaning...previous owners were some dirty folks and the poor car showed.

Pics going up today...

For now, I think I want to stick with an automatic because I am lazy and have got into too much trouble driving standards in the past. Anyone know how many HP that stock tranny can handle? Modification/upgrade suggestions?