Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Irritating Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:31 AM
JW
Unregistered
Default Irritating Vibration

Hello, I have a 92 Honda Accord LX, automatic.
I recently replaced the CV axles along with all motor mounts timing belts etc.,
I have a small vibration from the engine through the floor and steering wheel. I can't imagine what could be wrong?????
I thought that the motor mounts would stop the vibration.
The car has had a wheel alignment when I replaced all 4 tires, so that can't be it.
Is it possible that the transmission is going bad???
It is very apparent at about 70 mph and then starts to lessen around 80. (Good excuse to drive fast)
It feels like the transmission is up against the floor of the car.
If I remember correctly on a manual transmission their is a rubber damper on the clutch,,,anything like that on the automatic transmission????
Help please!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Irritating Vibration

it sounds like tires out of balance ...have the tires rebalanced

good excuse to drive faster ...OR stay below 70..

Old 09-02-2006, 08:24 PM
accord_rojo
Unregistered

I was told that Accords 90-94 sometimes make that vibration between 2,000 and 3, 000 RPM’s. They do it because the EGR ports are dirty. Have you ever clean your EGR ports? I got instructions on how to change them somewhere in the forum but I don’t remember where. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: JW

Hello, I have a 92 Honda Accord LX, automatic.
I recently replaced the CV axles along with all motor mounts timing belts etc.,
I have a small vibration from the engine through the floor and steering wheel.
Did it have the vibration before this work was done? Are the balancer shafts properly timed?

Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 AM
accord_rojo
Unregistered

Did you ever found the solution to the vibration? I am now experiencing something similar. The vibration actually makes the front/driver wheel come lose. I have done an alignment, balanced all 4 tires, replaced the hub assembly (driver side); I have even switch rims because I was told maybe the rim was defected but nothing. I get the vibration at around 100-110 Km/hr which would be 65-70Ml/hr, but if I go faster at 140Km/hr, (90Ml/hr) the vibration goes away.
The other thing I like to mention is that I have a 5 speed; it is a 1990 LX. You have an automatic but it might not be the transmission. I had changed the EGR ports in the past and I noticed a difference but only when driving slow. (Between 40-60Km/hr)
This one is a hard one, I do not know what to do, I have taken it to mechanics and no one knows. L
Did you have any wheels go loose as a result of the vibration? Did you do any work right before you got the vibration? When did this problem started?
Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 AM
Alex_Rus
Unregistered

Hi ppl...
I was just going through the net looking to find the answer for the same problem...

3 days ago my mechanic changed the left and right Axles on my car.... 94 Accord (5 speed).... After the change the car drives much better, but I noticed vibration when accelerating ... between 2000 - 3500 RPM only in the 1st and 2nd Gears... (under 45 mph)...
When my mechanic was changing the axles... some transmission oil spilled out, but when he finished the job he added some oil to the transmission...

Weird...
Yes, I had alignment done right after the axles were replaced.... Cars goes perfectly straight. Hope someone helps out....

Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Alex_Rus

Hi ppl...
I was just going through the net looking to find the answer for the same problem...

3 days ago my mechanic changed the left and right Axles on my car.... 94 Accord (5 speed).... After the change the car drives much better, but I noticed vibration when accelerating ... between 2000 - 3500 RPM only in the 1st and 2nd Gears... (under 45 mph)...
When my mechanic was changing the axles... some transmission oil spilled out, but when he finished the job he added some oil to the transmission...

Weird...
Yes, I had alignment done right after the axles were replaced.... Cars goes perfectly straight. Hope someone helps out....
Alex # 1 you should not ask questions on someone else's post you should start your own or it could get confusing and # 2 sounds like you got some bad axles installed ,, sounds like a bad inner cv joint

Old 02-27-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: accord_rojo

I was told that Accords 90-94 sometimes make that vibration between 2,000 and 3, 000 RPM’s. They do it because the EGR ports are dirty. Have you ever clean your EGR ports? I got instructions on how to change them somewhere in the forum but I don’t remember where. Good luck.
Glogged egr will lead to hesiation between 1500-2500 rpms...

OP a bad lower ball joint will casuse the problems you are describing

Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Alex_Rus
Unregistered

I kind of disagree .... If the ball joint would be bad, the vibration be constant, not only on the low rpms...

Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 PM

not in all cases. my 94 had a bad joint (lower driver side) and it only vibrated at speeds of 60-70. Replaced the joint and vibration was gone

my current car had 2 bad lower ball joints and all it did was require more steering corrections than usual.

Quick Reply: Irritating Vibration