Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

JDM MOTOR SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Default JDM MOTOR SWAP

How hard would it be to swap a jdm motor into a 96 accord lx? Would everything bolt up right? And I wouldn't have to change the ecu or anything,would I? Another mechanic told me that

Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: JDM MOTOR SWAP

yep that mechanic was right...kinda. it depends on what jdm motor your swapping in. if its a jdm f22, then it bolts right in and you dont need to change the computer. but....changing the computer is the easiest part, and if you wanted to put in a jdm h22a you would want to change out the computer. if you tried to swap a b series motor into it, it would not bolt right up. if your swapping out motors, spend the little bit of extra money and get an h22a, but before you put any jdm motor in, make sure you change the timing belt and the water pump.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:21 AM

You can check out this site 4 all your swap needs to.
http://hondaswap.net/

Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM

I want the same motor that is in it right now,just a jdm version.To me swapping a motor defeats the whole idea of tuning.Your supposed to work with what came in the car,then work with it.Hell,if I wanted to do a motor swap I would put a chevy 350 in it,then blow everyone away.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 03-07-2006, 09:50 PM

yea your thoughts right now are warped. it would be rediculous to spend 10 or 15 thousand dollars to make a 350 fit and make it rear wheel drive just to have a 70-30 front to back weight ratio. the h22a bolts right into the engine bay with no modifications for a reason.....the fastest accord of your model....the type R came with an h22a right from the factory. what your saying is the equilvalent to having a 1970 barracuda with a slant 6 cylinder in it and you have a 426 hemi in the garage that you dont want to put in because it wasnt 'supposed' to be in there. you and i both know the 440 or the 426 are the engines to go in there. its the same thing with your honda. honda did the same thing with your intake system.... if they did NOT want you to put a high performance intake on it, they would have put a MAF or some other crap in the intake to make it difficult, but its just a tube! your car was engineered to facilitate high performance driving and its up to you to either leave it the way it is or utilize the full potential.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM

I just completed a JDM swap. I too stayed with the F22A but as luck would have it the JDM motor I got must have been out of a 1991 SE (..that was above the EX then) or from an EX-R. The intake system is substantially different with a vacuum operated 4-8 bypass. I did open the intake and the exhaust a lot, but as of yet the SE / EX-R FI isn't installed yet. How much performance gain can I expect from this FI system? Did the 1991 EX-R and or SEs come with an H22... Is the block labeled H22 vs F22?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:51 AM

the se's did not come with the h22 check the stamp on your engine block on the front, it should say f22a6. you can expect some serious performance out of that engine. you already saw the butterfly intake manifold, what you havent experienced is the two stage timing system, which is half of what the vtec system does

Old 05-23-2006, 03:26 AM

How does it differ from the lowly LX? Is that difference all in the head? What kicks the two stage timing system? how is it activated / functioning. I didn't expect to buy anything but a replacement F22A1 but are the innards (piston, rods, crank and cam) different? To simplify this a bit... What makes an F22A6 a '6???'

Old 05-28-2006, 04:07 AM

Not really adding to the mix but just asking a question: I know an h22 will bolt right up in my 94ex. Now if I get my hands on an ob2 motor and computer, is changing out the ecu just as easy? Or is there more wiring needed? Also, what is the chance an h23 is going to fit in with no issues? Will it still bolt up with just wiring needing to be done. Also, most importantly I am guessing is that I defenitely want to use prelude axles correct? From what I have read, they are the same length and hub set up as in the accords, is that true across generation gaps?

Just wondering[sm=smiley31.gif]

Quick Reply: JDM MOTOR SWAP