Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Just bought 98 Used, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Default Just bought 98 Used, what now?

Hey All,
I hail from the Northeast and I just bought a 98 4 cyl ex coupe used and not sure what has been done maintinence-wise other than oil changes. I know the timing belt hasn't been done and I want to do some mods but before that I want to take care of the maintinence 105k.

Switched over to Amzoil oil and filter last week.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Default RE: Just bought 98 Used, what now?

Change the belts. It'll run you about $700 though. Sign on to Honda Ownerlink and it will tell you your maintenance schedule. Or look at the owner's manual. Another good idea for someone getting into modding cars is to get atleast a Hanyes Manual. I made and edit to your other thread.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:38 PM

$700 parts for the belts? or labor also.

I know I am giddier than a school-girl for this site and having changed my oil for the first time . . . but originally I only put in the four qts and let the car run for about 5 minutes, then checked and saw that it was below the low. I added the fifth qt and it is fine . . . Engine still perrs perfectly but at higher speeds (say 70mph in 4th) it sounds slightly louder than usual. Am I paranoid or may I have done something to it?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: nrangerfan

$700 parts for the belts? or labor also.

I know I am giddier than a school-girl for this site and having changed my oil for the first time . . . but originally I only put in the four qts and let the car run for about 5 minutes, then checked and saw that it was below the low. I added the fifth qt and it is fine . . . Engine still perrs perfectly but at higher speeds (say 70mph in 4th) it sounds slightly louder than usual. Am I paranoid or may I have done something to it?
It sounds that way at 70 in 4th. $700 includes parts and labor.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM

after you get the belts changed you will definatly be ready to begin modding do you have any ideas for the car yet?

Old 05-18-2005, 10:12 PM

dude,

timing belt and water pump and the water pump at the same time. just did mine at 117k. i have the 3. o v6 vtec so your engine could be different im not sure.
cost me 719 so shop around, this included ac and alternator belts as well.

at that mileage get a tune up, trust me, you will see the diff in gae mileage and performance, go with the
highest end spark plugs that can match your budget
When i had my 100k tune up, the performance pick up was great..

Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 AM

Hey Guys thanks for the thoughts -
I'm going to do the spark plugs, the belts and the water pump next saturday (barring any rain)
Honestly, I am looking for a bit more kick in the lower end of my RPMs. I feel really satisfied in the performance (although I'll always take more) from about 3 - 6 rpms. I just want to be thrown back a bit more on the line.
Headers, Exhaust, Intake. I'd like to optimize the computer to get a bit more fuel-rich air flow once I get the bigger headers on. My dad brought up a good point that maybe you guys could respond to. If I put headers on, won't that actually boost a bit of performance in the higher end of the RPM's and actually take away a bit in the lower end?

Old 05-19-2005, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: nrangerfan

Hey Guys thanks for the thoughts -
I'm going to do the spark plugs, the belts and the water pump next saturday (barring any rain)
Honestly, I am looking for a bit more kick in the lower end of my RPMs. I feel really satisfied in the performance (although I'll always take more) from about 3 - 6 rpms. I just want to be thrown back a bit more on the line.
Headers, Exhaust, Intake. I'd like to optimize the computer to get a bit more fuel-rich air flow once I get the bigger headers on. My dad brought up a good point that maybe you guys could respond to. If I put headers on, won't that actually boost a bit of performance in the higher end of the RPM's and actually take away a bit in the lower end?
That would acutally depend on the size and design of the primaries, secondaries, and collector. The design of a header should be to scavenge air from the engine to lose low end torque means that it's not an optimal design for that engine.

Some dynos have shown torque loss on some headers but there are good headers out there without losses also.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Forgive my ignorance but could you give me a quick descripition of "design of the primaries, runners, and collector"

Old 05-19-2005, 11:11 AM

Primaries are just the tubes that run from the engine block, secondaries are the when the primaries combine on a 4-2-1 header and a collector is single opening at the end.