Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

limiters

Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Default limiters

how would i go about raising the rev limiter and/or the top speed governor? is there a way to do such a thing?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: limiters

For the rev limiter, you'd need a stand-alone ignition or a Hondata flash. Most piggy-back controllers will eliminate the top speed limit. On my car, when I installed the V-AFC controller, the speed limit was there at first, but after it was tuneed, the limit disappeared. I'm not exactly sure why it remained at first, but I'm pretty sure that the limit is supposed to be removed. I've read that the speed limit can also be removed with the Apexi Rev and speed meter.

If you are not doing internal work, raising the rev limit won't make the car any faster. Peak torque and HP occur before the rev limit.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 AM

ya and also if your car is an auto you dont want to take off the rev limiter becuase it will sit up at like 8000rpm just bouncing then finally shifting. so its better if your car is manual.... ya i wanted to take off my govenor also. is the only way to do that by buying a controller??

Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 AM

I think Hondata gives you 7400 rpms, but otherwise stand-alone. Without a camshaft replacement, there's no point in doing this.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM

You would have to do an OBDI swap to use Hondata in your car - not an easy task. Your car is OBDII - Hondataonly works on OBDI

Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM

True .... forgot about that. Still ..... pointless without a camshaft.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM

oh...that's why people swap to OBD1
i was going to post a question about this, but i found the answer!