Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Loosing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Default Loosing Oil

Hello Guys!

I have a 2001 Accord EX with a 4cyl. I currently have 193,000 miles on it and I've notice two things. Between oil changes, I am adding about 2 quarts of oil and I've noticed that my muffler is greasy and looks like oil is coming out thru the muffler. I haven't seen any leaks of oil in the garage at all so I know it's going somewhere. The dealer states that the oil rings may be worn. Any advice?

[/align]

Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Loosing Oil

check the engine's compression. That should tell you the condition of the rings and valve seats.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM

Also, a car that is burning oil won't neccessarily blow blue smoke right away. The black stuff dripping off the exhaust is most likely from condensation collecting dirty exhaust particals so it has that black look. As was stated, if you don't have a leak do a compression test and you'll know if the rings are shot.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 PM

Where could the oil be going?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

out the tailpipe.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM

I did notice that the tail pipe seem to be greasy and oily. I'm sure that this will cause others problems if not fixed in a hurry. I have an appointment to take the car in on next week. I hope that I don't damage anything else.

[/align]

Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM

IF the rings are shot, will this mean that I would have to get the engine replaced? What does something like that cost?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 PM

At least this was not happening to you when your car was new. My 07 Accord for whatever reason was leaking and burning oil...car had only 20K miles when I discovered the problem. Dealer tells me...car is fine!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:15 AM

Here are a couple things you can do if it your rings are wearing...

Give each cylinder a good dose of WD-40.
Get some "Stop-Leak" Oil treatment and add it to your oil at your next change.

Get a friend to help you; particularly with a car. When cold, get your friend to stand behind the car and watch the exhaust smoke. Start the car. If they see BLUE smoke right after a cold start, then your problem is vavle guides.

If you get no smoke, then have them follow you around the block. Once you are driving, go full throttle till about 5000 RPM's in 1st gear, then proceed to change gears. Once you are in third, go from 2000 RPM, and then again, go full throttle till 3500 RPM's.

If it emmits ANY amount of BLUE smoke, then your piston rings are worn, and you must resort to oil additives.

BLACK smoke is a VERY different issue. If your friend comments on the amount of black smoke you are getting, then you should go clean your air flow meter, replace the air filter, and clean the carb(FI?) with CARB and CHOKE cleaner...

Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 AM
norm1971
Unregistered

I have a 2007 Accord wich is loosing about 3/4 of a quart of oil every 3500miles. My concern is will this gets worse as the car gets older.
Plannig to call Honda a document this just incase I needa new engine at 100k.
Anyone else see this in their accords?

Quick Reply: Loosing Oil