Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Malfunction Indicator Light

Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Default Malfunction Indicator Light

Malfunction Indicator Light came on a few days ago. "It indicates that one of the engine's emissions control systems may have a problem". 2003 Handa Accord Manual. It's a 4 cylinder with 145,000.

Any suggestions? I did the gas cap thing mentioned in the manual and nothing. Other than the dealer, where can I get a diagnostic test? Will that locate the problem? I would like to do the work myself. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Default RE: Malfunction Indicator Light

Auto Zone will read the code for no charge but it may or may not pinpoint the problem. You'll still need to have the code "translated".

Old 02-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Thank you. I had Advance Auto read the code. It was P2A00 Below the code it read "02 bank 01 Sensor 1 range/performance. Long story short, they recommended I replace the oxygen sensor. I ordered a Bosch ($132). Does this sound right? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM

sounds right.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Yeah, but I have heard that the Bosch oxygen sensors arent so great. The OEM Denso unit is whats usually recommended.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Accord2003Coupe
Unregistered

Here in Vancouver, Canada I was having the same problem with my car, except my carhas less than 65,000 km (or 40,000 mi). Brought it into a dealership hoping thatthe problem, whatever it may be, would be under warranty. Dealership told me that it could be a variety of things so they had no idea if itmight be under warranty. Of course diagnosing the problem would of cost $60+ alone. They phoned me back 45min later to tell me that the problem was indeed the oxygen sensor.They charged me $250 just for the part and $160 for labour. I guess i'll know better for next time.

A sucker born every minute...oh well I guess I fit the bill this time around.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 PM

UPDATE. The price for the sensor at the parts store was $132 as above. But my Honda Dealer said they would do it for $168 (including labor). So I had the dealer do it. There is an upper and lower oxygen sensor and it was the upper. They also fixed the "radio display" that went dark so I couldn't see the station the radio was on. At the time they fixed the radio my car was 4 years old and had 150,000 miles on it. They did it for FREE!!!! I heard Honda was having problems with it and I mentioned that. They called Honda and they said to do it for free.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 AM
getagriplinda
Unregistered

I just had my radio display go dark this weekend. I had a friend check the fuse but said it was okay. Right after that my malfunction indicator light came on. Do you think this just a coincidence? I saw the post aboutthe malfunction indicator light and about having the display fixed for free because of problems Honda had been having with it and was wondering if the display went out just beforethe malfunction indicator light came on also. Seems weird to me. I also thought maybe the guy at the oil change place had bumped something loose when he was "checking" my "cabin air filter" or some otherthing that I didn't want him to check for me. Is that a possibility?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Anything's possible if he was 'checking around' for stuff. What year/version/engine/transmission do YOU have?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 AM

My radio display was out for at least 6 months before the engine light came on. A few weeks ago, I did just have an experience where my car was in the shop for a week to be painted. When I left the paint shop, the "engine malfunction light" was on. It stayed on for a couple days, so I to it to an auto parts store to have them read the problem. It said it was a sensor. He did not reset it, but when I left the store I noticed the light was out. It runs fine and the gas mileage is as good as ever (31 mpg). Good luck!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Malfunction Indicator Light