Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Malfunction Indicator Light

Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Default Malfunction Indicator Light

Malfunction Indicator Light came on a few days ago. "It indicates that one of the engine's emissions control systems may have a problem". 2003 Handa Accord Manual. It's a 4 cylinder with 145,000.

Any suggestions? I did the gas cap thing mentioned in the manual and nothing. Other than the dealer, where can I get a diagnostic test? Will that locate the problem? I would like to do the work myself. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Default RE: Malfunction Indicator Light

Auto Zone will read the code for no charge but it may or may not pinpoint the problem. You'll still need to have the code "translated".

Old 02-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Thank you. I had Advance Auto read the code. It was P2A00 Below the code it read "02 bank 01 Sensor 1 range/performance. Long story short, they recommended I replace the oxygen sensor. I ordered a Bosch ($132). Does this sound right? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM

sounds right.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 PM

UPDATE. The price for the sensor at the parts store was $132 as above. But my Honda Dealer said they would do it for $168 (including labor). So I had the dealer do it. There is an upper and lower oxygen sensor and it was the upper. They also fixed the "radio display" that went dark so I couldn't see the station the radio was on. At the time they fixed the radio my car was 4 years old and had 150,000 miles on it. They did it for FREE!!!! I heard Honda was having problems with it and I mentioned that. They called Honda and they said to do it for free.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Anything's possible if he was 'checking around' for stuff. What year/version/engine/transmission do YOU have?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 AM

My radio display was out for at least 6 months before the engine light came on. A few weeks ago, I did just have an experience where my car was in the shop for a week to be painted. When I left the paint shop, the "engine malfunction light" was on. It stayed on for a couple days, so I to it to an auto parts store to have them read the problem. It said it was a sensor. He did not reset it, but when I left the store I noticed the light was out. It runs fine and the gas mileage is as good as ever (31 mpg). Good luck!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Malfunction Indicator Light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.