Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
dnl_dennis
Unregistered
Default Motor Swap

Ok I am getting ready to do a motor swap in my 91 accord.....i have the original f22a in it atm...and i am wanting to set a DOHC V-Tech down in it and i am wondering what all exactly is involved in this swap...i know i will need the wiring harness and the cpu...is there anything else important i need to know ?

Thanks for any info

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Motor Swap

its not vtech,its vtec.and you don't have a F22A,you have an F22B

and it depends on what type of motor you dropping in,but most swaps just need ECU,wire harness,motor mounts, and depending on what type of motor you dropping in,you might have to swap your transmission too.But since mostparts that honda makes are usually interchangeable, that usually isn't a problem during engine swaps.BUT NOT ALL motors and transmissionsare interchangeable(for example,if you have an I-4 and want to swap it for a V6,obviously its not going to be compatible)...be sure to do research on what type of motor you want. but just to let you know,the H series and F series is something you should be looking at for your generations of accords,preferably the H22's and H23's.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Administrator

About time you came back in Danny..Thanks for showing up again...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007

its not vtech,its vtec.and you don't have a F22A,you have an F22B

and it depends on what type of motor you dropping in,but most swaps just need ECU,wire harness,motor mounts, and depending on what type of motor you dropping in,you might have to swap your transmission too.But since mostparts that honda makes are usually interchangeable, that usually isn't a problem during engine swaps.BUT NOT ALL motors and transmissionsare interchangeable(for example,if you have an I-4 and want to swap it for a V6,obviously its not going to be compatible)...be sure to do research on what type of motor you want. but just to let you know,the H series and F series is something you should be looking at for your generations of accords,preferably the H22's and H23's.
He has an F22A. He can reuse his stock motor mounts for any DOHC Vtec H/F motor (except S2k). As for the ECU or CPU as you put it, get a P28 and get it chipped. Reuse your stock transmission and axles.

www.accordinglydone.com - has write ups
www.honda-tech.com - has great info as well
www.cb7tuner.com - would be an excellent source for your specific year

Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 AM

I have a DIY in the works for chipping an ECU yourself... give me a week. I dunno why Currant's recommending a chipped ECU when the ECU for the motor you're swapping in should work flawlessly, assuming you have an M/T.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM

yeah my mistake i was thinking of a different accord for some strange reason.and didn't i just say thatmost parts are interchangeable?[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

I have a DIY in the works for chipping an ECU yourself... give me a week. I dunno why Currant's recommending a chipped ECU when the ECU for the motor you're swapping in should work flawlessly, assuming you have an M/T.
In case he decides to do more mods down the road, its a better starting base for tuning.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM

it will be nice to get a good flywheel and clutch since he's pulling everything apart...

Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
dnl_dennis
Unregistered

Thanks for all the info....so basically i just need to pull the ecu / wireing harness from the other accord ?