Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

MSD 6A Ignition ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Default RE: MSD 6A Ignition ?

on this cb7 forum im using, there's this guy who is building a 200whp NA f22 engine, and one of his mods is this MSD ignition thing

Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I know that a ton of people use them, I'd just look for as many testimonials as possible for the unit that you plan to get since the 6A ignition has had so many problems. This SCI system looks the same, but is named different, and appears to be a toned down 6A prehaps for reliability, but I could be wrong. Make me wonder if I could do this kit with a blaster coil and a 99's distributor ..... I probably wouldn't but it'd be good to know if I can.

200WHP NA from a 4 banger is tough, but doable with the right camshaft and internals pushing the redline to 9000. Issues with that are that as the more racey the cam profile, the less comfortable it is to drive! Full race cams don't let you drive below 3000 rpms.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM

I do know j_man_honda has one, and I almost mentioned that earlier, but I refrained because I think he is the only person I have ever heard ofthat has MSD on a "stock" Accordengine that hasn't had any issues. KevinAccord, you have a turbo, as we stated earlier MSD will probably help if you have a mod such as a turbo. I have just heard far to many bad experiences with MSD on stock engines.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 AM

I've only heard of problems with the 6A series. But then again, it's their most popular unit in the import circle.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM

A bit off Topic, But Im currently Running a Jacobs Electronics I.C.E.paK...specifically designed for high reving 4-cyl. imports like ours... I been Very satisfied and happy with it..! MSD isnt your only choice

Old 09-20-2007, 02:40 PM

I never heard of them, but I'll look into it. It would be nice if the Stacker worked for my ride since if that blows out, chances are that the car would go back to the stock spark.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 AM

Here goes info i found on web...Sorry its a bit long, but didnt wanna cut anything out...

"Designed exclusively for import car enthusiasts this Jacobs I.C.E. Pak (Import Car ultra team Energy)and recommended for all 4 and 6-cylinder and Honda/Acura V-TEC engines. Jacobs Electronics has developed this ignition system especially for newer Japanese import cars. It is based on a modified Pro-Street Ultra Team. Using an extremely high-speed digital microprocessor, the iCE-Pak creates up to 10 sparks for each combustion event throughout the first 11 degrees of total crank rotation (depending on engine speed). This higher spark amount over a shorter crank duration prevents arc-over; which is a common problem in smaller import car distributor caps with other high output ignition systems. The iCE-Pak is approved for use on emission controlled vehicles per CARB EO D-19-32. For competition or track use, the iCE-Pak can be wired directly to the OEM harness and the stock coil eliminated.

Specs:

·Start retard, which reduces the initial ignition advance during the cranking/starting phase ONLY, but significantly increases the spark output until the engine starts and idles normally. This greatly decreases stress on the vehicle's starter and battery on stock motors and especially helps if the engine has high compression, cammed, supercharged, or modified.

·Acceleration Spark technology, whereby the spark output is increased to 550 volts when the microprocessor senses an accelerating engine condition. Throttle response is double or triple over a stock system as a result.

The iCE-Pak is fully compatible with Jacobs Electronics complete line of timing control, rev-limiters, and nitrous oxide control products. The iCE PAK is housed in a much smaller enclosure with NO LOSS in power output when compared to other Jacobs Electronics systems and drives an Ultra Torquer Coil. The combination has RPM abilities in excess of 20,000 RPM without any drop-off in performance! "

Old 09-24-2007, 11:25 AM

sounds like a nice piece of equipment ..... I'm going to have to take look at their products.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM

I've been running a 6AL for over a year now on a stock engine and it has helped me out. It starts better and easier especally on the cold days of winter and I'm using my remote start. I went from getting around 275 miles per tank to around 310 miles. Acceration is more responsive as well. Downside is I get to buy spark plugs more often, I'm due for some more here pretty soon. I also blew out the wires at the spark plug end of the boot and it started arcing across to the engine and giving me a tingling in my leg through the accelerator pedel. MSD did exchange the wires for free but it took a couple of weeks to send them in and get the new set back. My driving style is well, spirited. I don't race anyone, but I give it more gas than the next guy.

I've spent lots of time around a drag strip and thats where to find MSD on just about everything. Of course, its also where you can find how not to wire one up as well. If a racer was having problems with his ignition, it was probablly in his wiring of it.

To settle a bet with a friend, I called MSD and asked about the SCI and the 6A series boxes. The tech openlly said it is the same box that just gets a different paint job to be marketed to the import crowd. There is no difference in the operation of them. Although by my looking around there is a price difference. I guess that silver paint is more expensive. I lost that bet by the way.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
84Accord
Unregistered

I must say, this is the first I have ever heard of the MSD 6 series not being reliable. I know plenty of people who run them on various types of vehicles. I run a 6AL with the Blaster II TFI coil on my '95 Mustang and the benefits have been smiliar to what ChirsC76 states. Mine has been on there for over 60,000 miles without a problem, and I know people who have had theirs for over 20 years and they still work fine.. That said, I have never ran one on my Honda since it is just an economy car, so I couldn't offer experience on that. A hotter spark is always better..