Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

My experiences with the Delta 272

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Default My experiences with the Delta 272

After running almost 2 years on the old Delta 272 cam, I can officially say that I know this bad boy pretty good. For those who are not familiar, its a generic regrind that costs $100. The gains are nice, but they can be a headache at times. First things first. If you get a aftermarket cam PERIOD, you must have it tuned. When I first installed the Delta 272 on the stock PT3 ecu, it ran ungodly rich down low and would not idle. I actually have to make the throttle cable tight to get it to idle, even after the tune. And do NOT run Crome on this cam. Crome does what it damn well pleases when the car is bone cold aka run rich etc. Second, you better forget about a stock exhaust or any back pressure period. I literally have to run a straight pipe so the cam can breath. I used to have a cheapo thrush turbo muffler on my car and I had problems with it cutting off coming to a stop and morning cold naturedness. I chopped that can off and it runs a little better, but not by much. The WORST thing about this cam is the low end loss. If you like your low end grunt, forget about getting this cam. You won't get a lick of torque until about 2000-2500. So if you are running an F22 trans, light weight flywheel, and this cam...it will be a turd until you get that thing spinning. Whats good about this cam? It will send you flying once you hit that 4k rpm mark and continues to pull hard until 6800. Here is a list of mods and my current numbers:

F22a1 (256k miles currently) w/ H22a transmission
F22A6 lower plenum/H22a upper plenum intake manifold with heat shield gasket
Ractive header with 2 1/4" exhaust
Ebay intake
Act Streetlite 12lb flywheel with Exedy stage 1 clutch
AEM cam gear advanced 3deg
Tuned on Crome
149whp/125wtq on Dynapack.

Please note that the dyno I was on reads lower than a dynojet. The tuner said if I got on a roller, I would see numbers around 170-180. I also had a blown head gasket (couldn't figure out the sputtering until it got worse) while I was being tuned, so that may have an affect on my numbers. So basically if you want to put down some H22a numbers without the H22a unreliability and price, this is a great setup overall. I highly recommend a Bisimoto level 2 because of its idling characteristics and powerband. Its a grind specifically for your car, instead of some generic regrind. Hopefully by this coming fall 2011, I will have the K20a3 pistons in my F23a1 block and an F22a head.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Thanks for that good post and information. I think members will get a lot from your post.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails My experiences with the Delta 272-thanks23.gif  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 AM

Its very hard to get detailed info about this cam and feedback. Most of the people install them yank em right back out because they need a tune and you can't get them to idle without the tune.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Supper Moderator

Wow nice hp number but like you said your tq. went out the window. F22a1 stock makes 137tq. so wow you lost 12 fl. lbs.
Now if you want to take advantage of higher revving swap out for a h22 crank just not the h22a4 won't work b/c of the 55mm mains. Then delete your butterflies and port your manifold. Gain few more ponies from that and then the block can spin out to 8k just like a h22 just with smaller bore. Maybe even farther if your still making power with the cam. Then we are talkin about a single slammer sleeper!

But thank you for posting all that info on the delta cam. I might just have to make this a sticky

Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 AM

Well I hate to say it but I think the old F22a1 has served its purpose. I can't figure out why I am blowing head gaskets and losing oil, so I think its time to just run it until she croaks. I have an H22a4 sitting here at the house, and I have an F23a1 block. I am trying to decide what to use as of right now. The F23a1 block with K20 pistons and my old F22a1 head sounds like a very nice combo. Of course I can't forget about the Delta. I will take a video with my recorder and show the last of the cam in action so yall can see how much she hauls ***.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Supper Moderator

go h22...and sell me your f23 block lol

Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 AM

Where how far are you away from Titusville? I may be going to see my aunt for a short period in May for a little vacation. Then I might head to Miami.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Supper Moderator

I'm not too sure. I'm in the Tallahassee area.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Dang you are almost on the way then. I am going to attempt a Orlando trip and MAYBE Miami this summer.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 AM

I did a compression test on the motor today. I got 180 across the board. Pretty good for a 260k mile F22a1, but still can't figure out where this skipping issue is arising from.

Quick Reply: My experiences with the Delta 272