Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New car, new to forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Default New car, new to forum

Ok, Im new to Hondas so need yall advice. Been a ford man but 4x4s cost too much and dont get used enough so I bought a 97 accord wit f22b motor which has bullfrog heads, port and polished, valve job, mild street cam, port and polished throttle body, ignition system, intake, full exhaust, fuel rail, msd wires and distributor. front and rear sway bars, strut bars, lowered, body kit, aftermarket hood, new leather interior and thats as much as I can remember. Didn't do the work so i'm not sure exactly what all it has. First off it has a click in valve cover. Not too bad but bothers me. Goes wih rpms. Noticed it idles a lil shaky and sometimes takes a few turns to turn over. With all the work thats in motor it doesnt seem to have enough power. I want more but don't know whats left to do besides go into block which has 217k in it so might be time for rebuild anyways. I'm very mechanically inclined but been workin on 4x4s. Not too much on imports. Anyways, im askin for yall imput on clickin, shakiness (cam?), and curious since it has soo much work on heads if i'm better with what I have or should I put dohc, or h22? Would It be pointless and would any of the aftermarket parts I have still fit? Don't know what else I could do to motor? Sorry for all the questions but I just got the car and have been reading threads but havent really found answers for my Qs. Very excited about this car and just can't have a new car without starting a new project. Thanks for yall input. Any will be appreciated. Not expecting all questions answered. This is just whats goin on in my head.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Supper Moderator

Well the f22b"x" heads aren’t all the great to start with. The f22a"x" heads flow much much better. F series engine don’t have a whole lot of power to begin with. They range from 125-145hp but they have a good bit of tourk for a 4cyl. 145ft. lbs on just about every f series engine.
The tick..you prob. need a valve adjustment. You might be taping the top of the piston with one or more of the valves. But it also could be the timing belt. When you get a chance pop the hood with the car running and listen very closely if it’s from the head or the timing belt. You said you know your way around a engine bay so I'm sure you know where the throttle is rev her up while you listen since you said it gets louder with increase of rpms. If you want more power the h22 engine is the way to go. Stock it has close to 200hp to the crank and around 160ish tourk. The h22 has lots of aftermarket support and is a very simple swap into the accords.

ohh...and welcome enjoy your stay on the forum

Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks and yeah I did that. Just didn't wanna make message any longer than it was. I listened and revved it up and it sounds like its coming from second cylinder from passanger side in valve cover. I have the valve cover that is painted same color as car. That's non vtec right? They do have vtec sohc hun? With head job and all performance parts that has to add a good bit of hp. Wouldn't be near what stock h22 has? I would lose aftermarket parts beside like ignitions system, intake, and exhaust hun? Any idea how much I,d be lookin at spendin if I do the work?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Oh and head work was just done so they jchanged timing belt too.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:58 PM

H22 heads wouldn't fit on my block? Is that Frankinstien?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Supper Moderator

No your prob. not near the power of the h22. Yes you can swap h22 head on your block but you won’t gain any power. You need to swap our for forged pistons to bump up your c/r for the h22 head. Otherwise it’s a pointless swap UNLESS your going boost. Then it's one of the best set ups to use for the price.

Depending on your exhaust size yes you will need a new exhaust set up for the h22 you want a 2.5" MANDREL bent exhaust for a h22. Your intake I'm assuming your talking about a CAI or SRI...they can be swapped over to the h22 without a prob.

You can pick up a h22 with trans for around 2k off hmotorsonline.com
one of the best places to get your imported engines. Then you will need to do some wiring to your wiring harness for couple things.

SOHC vtec is performance pointless...it's made for low RPMs it's only to save your gas not to make power. Your valve cover should say vtec on it if it's the vtec head. DOHC vtec is the screamers...but like I said be4 if you wanna swap it on your f22block you need to raise your compression or you will not gain any power what so ever. F22 engines have low c/r that’s why ppl turbo the crap out of them. I'm actually in the works on a f series block with h22 head...but mine if going to be boost like crazy looking for a min of 400whp if not more.
I think I answered all your questions..If not my bad I just got off work and I’m tired.

hear is some good vtec info for you too....
When SOHC vtec kicks in it opens one of the two intake valves all the way open and only opens the 2nd intake valve slightly to create a "swirl" effect to efficiently burn the fuel better and this happends at low RPMs. The exhaust valve doesn’t open any father than normal. Good for fuel economy not for performance. I personally dislike all f22b"x" heads except for the JDM f22b (only dohc f22) It's just like have a h23 engine just with a 85mm bore not the 87mm bore.
Now when vtec kicks in with DOHC both sets of intake and exhaust valve open up for added screaming top end power.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Ok now its all startin to make since. From goin from a 02 fx4 with 36s to this car the first thing i noticed was the gas difference. Car has to get around 30mpg. I was getting about 12 in my truck. But that doesnt make since that the previous owner spent soo much money on this block instead of changing them all together. Hes a car audion installer so his podna whos a honda mechanice did all the work for free for car audio. Why would he spend 2k on these heads? Just to save gas?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:41 PM

this is cajuncoona... You can't change your screename so I had to make new profile. If everyone here was a cajun it wouldnt have been a deal. its a coona... thing i guess!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Supper Moderator

I have no idea why they would spend 2k on the head. The h22 is one of the best proven platforms to start with. They can make some good power and have lots of aftermarket support. But now if you are big ballin go with a k series engine… But they are crazy pricy to build.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator
Talking And That's A Fact

Originally Posted by KraZKajun
this is cajuncoona... You can't change your screename so I had to make new profile. If everyone here was a cajun it wouldnt have been a deal. its a coona... thing i guess!
|Now I will change things for you..Thanks

Quick Reply: New car, new to forum