Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

New car, new to forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:40 AM

No I'm not tryin to spend a fortune. Just got finished with my f150 that I put 5k in and I'm about to sell at a loss. Not tryin to invest all that over again in this car. 2 or 3k top. Over time. Just know I need to do something cause I don't like getting smoked by my ol ladys stock jetta! That things fast though. 1.8T. 180hp stock. And is very light. Probally be better off fixin that car up and giving her mine but I hate vw. Every little part breaks but its already got turbo. What about f22 dohc swap? Then my aftermarket fuel inj. And fuel rail will fit? Headers? That would probally be my cheapest bet for hp gain hun? Not trying to spend a fortune AGAIN!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Supper Moderator

The prob. with the f22b dohc head is they are really really hard to find. When you find one it will be a way to high price. You better off finding a h23 head to swap if that’s what you want to do. And even if you do find a f22b dohc head none of the f22b1/2 like the engine you have will swap over. The f22b dohc head is the same as a h23 head...the h23 head and f22a heads share the same intake and exhaust port patterns. The f22b1/2 don't. That and they don't flow as well as the f22a heads. As for the fuel injectors they will swap over and I THINK (don't hold me to this..might have to do some research yourself) the fuel rail will swap over too. I don't mess with f22b1/2 heads I really dislike them so I'm not 100% sure on the rail swapping over.

Last edited by g22cd5; 08-30-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 PM

I've been thinkin and thinkin of what to do to my car and believe i'm just gonna do the entire h22 swap. I have 214k on my block so I think spending around 2k for a new motor with way more hp. and a whole lot less milage isn't bad. I love the fact that everythings so cheap for these cars. Compaired to my f150! I think the swap would be easier and last longer in the long run. Be like having a brand new motor to me. I already have a newly rebuilt trans so I'm wondering if I should just keep the one I have in there? Would the one that comes with h22 have lower gear ratio? I have to wait till I sell my truck so nothings set in stone right now. Wieghing out my options.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Supper Moderator

I would use the h22 trans its much shorter. Ppl who have f series trans on h22's complain about falling out of vtec and the f series gears are way too long. look at hmotorsonline.com for the extra 300bucks get the LSD trans you will not regret it. B/c we all know driving w/o LSD is like trying to run with 1 leg...

Old 09-02-2010, 09:23 AM

Well now everyone knows, told you I'm new to hondas! Checked out their website and its 2199 plus 300 for LSD plus shippin. So that would be at least 2700. Hun? That's not too high? I had checked out jdm motors website and they have them for 1300 with shipping included and 300 extra for auto trans. Don't know if that's the LSD. Doubt it. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too much more. Plus exle half etc. Don't know if they are cheaper for a Reason. Also seen tiger had them for cheap. I'm not familiar with any of these comps and would hate to get a motor and trans that has issues and have to fight over the phone with p.o.s. comp. Made the same mistake with trans for my f150. Wouldn't recommend anyone getting goodfellas trans. Anyways, yeah I will be doing my research for a while before making disision who I'm going to go with. Got SMOKED by z28 this morning. Knew it has gonna happen but thought those were the v6s and he wouldn't leave me in the dust but I was wrong. Got on it and he shot out! Just let off the gas and said screw it. He had some work in that thing! I'm gonna get him sooner or later!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Supper Moderator

The auto h22 doesn’t have as much power as the 5speed h22s. They are diff. The auto has a lower redline and smaller TB and something else the holds back some power I forget it's been a long time since I look it up. But I know for a fact the auto h22 holds back some power b/c of the auto trans.
Hmotorsonline is a very good and reputable place to buy JDM engines. You can ask anyone on any honda forum. That’s the place I would pick one up from. Not that other tiger site I have head bad things about them.
Yeah the shipping is what gets ya...and no the auto trans don't have LSD only SOME of the 5speeds have the LSD trans. No the $2700 isn’t high price that’s about right

Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Supper Moderator

umm BTW you need to take that filter off your VC and replace the hose back to your intake. I circled in red what I’m talking about. That filter will actually clog up and block the extra gas from being vented. Also your crank case need to be under vacuum that’s why there is a hose that goes from your valve cover to your intake to keep it under vacuum.

Name:  notmine.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 PM

I'd like to have the power of a standard put I already have auto and couldn't even imagin what it would take to swap. Think I'd rather the auto being that I'm always in traffic. Thanks on the input on motos. I wanna go with a reputable comp. Oh and thanks alot on the letting me know about that filter. It was on there when I got car. The guy who did all the work is supposed to be master honda mech. I'm starting to doubt that.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Supper Moderator

Get a swap with a h22 auto trans. Maybe do a little porting of the intake manifold and bigger TB. hondatech.com has couple good write ups on h22 DIY porting. But I doubt that h22 auto will hold 250hp. Honda autos don't like much more over over stock...unless you build the trans to hold the extra power. I don't think it's cheap

*edit* With all the mods the previous owner did to your accord did he even bother to get a tune?

Last edited by g22cd5; 09-03-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 PM

I never asked him. That never crossed my mind when I got the car. Too many other things. I know the throttle body thats on there is ported. I can't use mine hun? Can I keep mine or is the one from h22 gonna be better stock than mine is polished? How much more money you think it would cost to do swap to manual trans? Think I seen a post about it.Im about to check it out. Probally show what needs to be done but not costs. I wouldn't mind doin it if it doesn't cost too much. All depends on what I get for my truck when i sell it.