Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

new to the forum.. questions already.. check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Default RE: new to the forum.. questions already.. check engine light

Just curious....who tested it for you?
I don't know if I have ever heard of an ECM, PCM, ECU, etc.. cause a P1457 code. I think someone may have given you some false information

Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

A faulty PCM is way down on the list for P1457, but it IS in there. After you have ruled out about2 dozenother things. The procedure in the Helm book is probably 12 pages of things to check.

But a faulty PCM seems to be included as a last resort in almost EVERY OBD-2 error code...

My personal opinion is you wanna spend time checking & ruling out EVERYTHING ELSE first. Automotive computers are surprisingly robust. And it's real easy for a shop to sell you a new computer for a few hundred $$ while at the same time fixing the broken wire that they found after 4 hours of electrical tests.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well i pulled the code my self... then took it to carmax only because i work there and i get a discount on service. the mechanics performed all the tests and basically everything came back ok except the feul tank pressure sensor which they cant test. or the PCM is faulty.. its one of the two... so the way i look at it is can buy a PCM off of a 99 accord that has been pulled out and just replace mine because they go for about 50 bucks used but i have found many that will give me a warrenty on it. or i can pay 100$ for the sensor not mention the labor and that might or might not do it. so im gonna do the cheap one first and if its not a fix then ill get the sensor.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

question about PCM/ECMs... is there a differance in the unit in a normal 4 cyl accord compared to a vtec 4cyl accord... in other words will any PCM out of a 99 accord lxwork in my 99 accord lx

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I'd guess they're different so you have to get one from the right engine. There's 3 different4-cylinder engines.
F23A1
F23A4
F23A5

I think the non-VTEC engine was only on the DX, but I'm not too certain about that. The other one is ULEV (California) engine.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

alright.. well i found a ecu with exact matching #'s so its ok... thanks for all the help guys

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so i got a PCM its used out of a 99 accord... and the modle # is the same as mine.. i plug it in and my car wont turn over... it sounds like it wants to but it wont.. now besides that it may just be a bad PCM is there anything i have to do to get a different PCM to work or is it just supose to be plug and play?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

If you mean it cranks but won't start, it's probably the mmobilizer...
Did you get a key from the donor car where the PCM came from?

There's anRFIDchip inside the key. There's a small antenna near the ignition switch. If the key isn't on the list of 'authorized' keys in the PCM, it won't start.

Take the key from the donor car (it won't work in the actual lock cylinder). Hold it up against the steering column & try again.

Once you know that's the reason, you'll have to go to a dealer or locksmith who has the computer to program your new ECU to accept YOUR keys.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

makes sense.. ill see if i can get the key but i doubt ill be able to do that.. but lets hope for the best. thanks alot.. again!!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM

I would be willing to bet money that you need one that matches your engine code.
Here are the differences:
F23A1 - LEV VTEC - it will simply say "VTEC" on the valve cover
F23A4 - ULEV VETC - it will say "ULEV VTEC" on the valve cover
F23A5 - non-VTEC - only found in the 98-02 Honda Accord DX models - will not say VTEC on the valve cover

Your engine code can be easily seen stamped on the engine to the right of the exhaust manifold.

Woops[&:] - I forgot to check page 2. Looks like you already got the PCM

Quick Reply: new to the forum.. questions already.. check engine light