Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

new to the forum.. questions already.. check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: new to the forum.. questions already.. check engine light

ok well before i go and and try and find the key and such.. i need ur opinion... so since the only two things that the mechanics say it could be is the fuel sensor or the the PCM... when i clear the code in my car.. and drive it for a few hundred miles... and scan it.. my scanner says that all systems yhave ran their test and passed and i get a green light.. but then i drive a bit more and then the P1457 evap code pops up... thats why i think its the PCM cause everything passes and then a bit later the code pops up.. so what do you guys think... or does none of that matter?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

I think the EVAP codes can be delayed, like this...

The system only OCCASIONALLY tests itself to see whether the tank & canister are airtight. It has to fail those occasional tests a couple of times before it throws the CEL.

Can your scanner display 'readyness' codes? Basically, if you reset the ECU it may take several days of driving before ALL the systems test themselves & set the readyness codes. This clever bunch of nonsense is designed to prevent people from clearing the error codes in the parking lot outside the emmissions testing station.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

no i my scanner cant read those... well i i think ill return the PCM for now.. and just replace the Fuel sensor first... and ill see what happens if it turns on then ill get the PCM and have the keys reprogramed

Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

You said the shop tested all the stuff... One item is the canister itself. Is it possible they tested all the valves but didn't check the canister itself to be airtight?

There's a bunch of vacuum hoses down there around the canister, & going up front to the EVAP purge valve (on the intake manifold). Maybeavacuum hose is either disconnected or cracked?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
TyMcLoud
Unregistered

Dunno if you have already sorted this out or not, but my car had the same code. Some bimbo at Advanced told me it was probably the O2 sensors and without any more research I went for it. After finding out the hard way that didnt work I took her to Honda for a smoke check. Turned out to be two sensors in the evap control system, not sure the parts numbers, and I managed to get out of there without paying for the test. I will look up as much as I can from Honda to find out what they said, as it's been a while since I had it tested.
Ty

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

That's exactly why I always tell people to get the actual code number. Not some counter-guys saying it's this or that.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 AM
TyMcLoud
Unregistered

Well according to the smoke test my car had two problems. A bad canister vac shutoff valve and evap purge control solenoid. I had some other problems with her in the past, most likely due to my living in Maryland and having salt damage in the winter. I'm gonna see if my local shop can get these parts and install them for less that the dealer, who is asking $227 after tax. Thats the same place that wanted $237 to turn the rotors and install front pads. Anyway, who knows if your car is having the same issue or another one, but I doubt it's the ECU. Good luck!
Ty