General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS Light, Horn, Cruise Control Doesn't Work - Replaced Cable Reel Already

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Default SRS Light, Horn, Cruise Control Doesn't Work - Replaced Cable Reel Already

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2000 Honda Civic Si. The cruise control and horn never worked, and the SRS light was always on. Based on what I read, this was a "clear" indication that the cable reel was faulty. So I replaced it. But nothing changed. Checked all the fuses and everything looks good.

On a side note, the cruise control button on the dash doesn't light up when I push it (was like this even before replacing the cable reel). Also, when I switch the car on, the cruise control indicator in the instrument panel does not light up.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by cukaracha; 07-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

I'd assume all three problems are independent and troubleshoot each one individually. You will have to do some electrical testing, so you will need a volt meter. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link for online shop manuals. Just go to the hondatech link to get a 96-00 civic shop manual.

I'd look under the driver's dash to see if there is some kind of aftermarket security system installed. You should be able to find it, because there will be wires out of place.

For the horn, I'd unplug the horn relay. Two of the pins on the fuse box should have power to ground (use a bare metal bolt as ground). The third pin should have ground when the horn switch is pressed and no ground with the switch is not pressed. The fourth pin connects to the horn.

For the cruise control, unplug the cruise control switch in the car. On the wire harness, the blu/yel and the red/blk wires should have 12V to ground. Also verify that your brake lights switch on and off when you press the brake pedal an that the brake lights are not on at all times.

For the SRS, I'd check for codes. There is a service connector near the passenger kick panel you short with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip. Turn the key to the II position, but do not start the car. The SRS will flash codes. A long flash is the first digit, then a shorter flash will be the second digit. So LLL S is a code 3-1.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the reply!!

I double checked my work this morning and here are my findings:

The other end of the gray connector (horn and CC) wasn't connected (doh!!). But this was something that the previous owner did. Also, an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag was previously installed on the car. So I reset the SRS.

Now, horn works and SRS light turns off. Cruise control indicator on the instrument panel lights up when I hit "Set" at desired speed.

However, Cruise Control does not maintain speed. The indicator stays on, but speed keeps decreasing. Previously, I replaced the A/C compressor and receiver/drier, which entailed moving the CC unit (under the hood) out of the way. In doing so, I had to disconnect the rubber hose that attaches to the CC unit. Might be relevant information.

Any ideas?

Old 07-03-2015, 12:55 PM

UPDATE: Got the cruise control to work. Turns out one of the vacuum lines was disconnected (again, previous owner(s)' fault). Reconnected it and took her for a spin; cruise control works like a charm.

In summary, SRS light was fixed by resetting it. Horn and cruise control connector should be connected on both ends (live and learn....). Vacuum lines should all be connected on cruise control unit.

Thanks all!!