General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light on - tried some fixes already but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Default Oil light on - tried some fixes already but...

1991 Honda Accord
4 cylinder, automatic
220,000 miles
no modifications

My oil light came on. I checked the oil level - fine. I read that Oil Pressure switch is likely at fault. I changed it and changed oil and filter at same time. The oil looked fine - no major metal shavings or anything in it. After repair, drove around the block twice. Then oil light came back on.

I have read all the threads on this subject and didn't see a prevailing opinion on it. Is the likely next step to change out the oil pump? Also, how advanced a repair is the oil pump?

Thank you.

Daniel

Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

My next step would be to test the oil pressure using a gauge. You would have to remove the sending unit and connect a gauge. I think that parts stores may have these as loaner tools. Call before you go to the parts store to see if they have them. Once you get an actual reading, then you will know if you have an electrical problem with the wiring, or a real oil pressure problem.

Oil pressure is created by the clearances in the bearings. If the bearings are out of spec, then replacing the oil pump will not fix the problem. There is a good ericthecarguy video explaining this.

You will have to go through the steps of replacing the timing belt to access the oil pump. This can be done as a DIY. We can provide details if you decide to attempt replacing the oil pump.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Thank you for the information. I did check the Eric the Car Guy videos (I have used several) which is why I was concerned about just replacing the oil pump.

I appreciate that people more experienced and smarter than me help on these forums. I'll check on the loaner tool idea.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you unplug the wire, does the light still come on???? A poorman's way of checking the wire.....if no ground, no light? But the switch could be bad, as well as the actual oil pump...hey just my two cents.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

a couple more suggestions/////

does oil pan have any damage?? dented in ?? ( upward ?) if so it could block the pick up screen in the oil pump, thus low oil flow , oil lite comes on,,

before replacing parts, remove the oil pan and chk the oil pump pick up screen for debris and possibly partially plugged