General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light - tried search already

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
walmark
Unregistered
Default ABS light - tried search already

I have an ABS light on intermittently. I just went down to check the code and it said 1-8. I tried the search but there is a bunch of ABS posts and the search excludes "1-8" or "18". Did any of you have experience with that code? Is there anything I can do aside from replacing multi-thousand dollar part on a 2,500 dollar car? Thx in advance

Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ABS light - tried search already

The DIY section has an ACC 5th gen post with a link to an online manual. The pdf with some instructions on 19-84.

Basically you want to check the relief plug and the accumulator.

Does the ABS unit leak brake fluid at all? I remember reading about the O-ring on the accumulator failing, but I am not sure if this will cause a code 1-8.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This may indicate the accumulator has lost charge. You can find used modulators for very reasonable prices using car-part.com and searching for sources near your zip code. I had to buy two to make one good modulator for a total investment~ $120. If you can get a garuntee of a working part, but the vendor can't really know if the modulator is working when sold.

There is a TSB for leaking modulator body plugs that affects quite a few modulators. You should loosen, clean, and tighten all the body plugs (about 9 I think) before installing.

good luck

Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 PM
walmark
Unregistered

I have to say I don't really understand that system. What is that high pressure nitrogen acumulator for? And if it lost pressure, why can't it just be recharged? I looked in the service manual for code 1-8 but all three steps led to "replace modulator". The site sponsor has a remaned one for $1000 (!), and I believe new ones are closer to $8000... About junkyards - how do you know how much "pressure" is left in their stuff?

Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Regarding salvage yard modulators, you don't know anything about their condition other than what can be observed. As I said, I bought two to make one good modulator. One had a bad motor and other had an internal leak. They're cheap enough to justify, but I would try to extract a "working unit garuntee" from the salvage yard. They may allow you to get your money back if it's dead, or swap for another unit.

Accumulator is factory charged w/ N2. I don't think it can be recharged. If it leaks it means the seal separating N2 from fluid is bad in any case.

good luck