Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

NEWBY and I need some Help!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: NEWBY and I need some Help!!!

Whoooo ..... slow down, take a breath and relax. First, create a signature in your profile. It should say something like this: 88 LX auto 4door. Next, we need to narrow down the problems. The shift lock issue is kinda irrelevant to the car running properly, so let's disregard that one for now. If the car works, sort of, then the most economical fix is to keep the systems that you have and rebuild them ..... unless there is a specific reason to buy new stuff.

The idle issue sounds like the set screw was set way to high to compensate for a bad "High Idle Throttle Valve". I may be incorect since I'm not too familiar with carbs, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Also, given the depth of problems with this car, I think that you should find a Helms manual to help diagnose systems and components.

Before we even worry about the tranny problems, let's get the car running and able to rev properly.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM

With this being an older dry rotted carbed car the VERY first thing I would do is inspect EVERY SINGLE hose in that engine bay, I'm betting that you have at least one vacuum leak, also, spray some carb cleaner into the carb and run some through your gas tank (spray the carb first then add the carb cleaner, in that order). So lets start simple and cheap.

1) Check every hose, run your hand along it, if it feels rough/cracked bend it a little and see if it has a hole, replace ANYTHING that has a hole in it, don't mess with trying to cut off the end and rig something together.

2) get it idling, spray some carb cleaner, give it a couple of blips on the throttle, then spray a little more.

3) put some carb cleaner in the gas tank

4) check your fuel filter, if it's old/cruddy looking replace it (needs to be done anyway and it's like a $5.00 part)

5) Go to our DIY section and read up on the posts pertaining to idle (surging idle etc.)

6) post your results

Old 11-27-2007, 12:24 PM

check those hoses then go to the website below and get the free service manual for a secondary referance

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Do your brake lights work?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: bigstube
. And since I already have almost 600 in the brakes I might as well fix it!?!?!?! RIGHT?

B
WRONG. get rid of it .. sell it .. ( personal opinion )

Sounds likethere are a few issues,, 1 being an internal tranny issue,, the other carbur issues ..
the car is worth only around 750-1000 tops.. .itis too late now , but i would have adviced you not to spend the almost 600 dollars in brakes
. save your money that you might have to spend on the tranny and use it on a newer car ..
also you do not need to push the button on the shifter lever to shift gears, the only time you need to push the button is to take the car out of park, other than that it is normal to shift without pushing the shifter lever button in..

Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Dude! sell the car and get a newer one... just do a little research and u may find a perfectly running car... (did i said that right?)