Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

No Spark(?) Engine won't run.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Default No Spark(?) Engine won't run.

Hey folks,

My girlfriends 2008 Honda Accord 2.4l stopped running yesterday, after I completed a routine oil change. Initially, I thought I'd done something during the oil change to mess something up, but had a mobile mechanic check it out today and he confirmed it's very unlikely the oil change had anything to do with it.

The car will attempt to start, but will never turn over and run. The mobile mechanic checked the spark plugs which were just changed out last week, and they all had gas on the tips. He also did a compression test (all checked out within normal limits), and checked all the fuses. He says that because compression is good, and gas is getting to the spark plugs, the only thing missing would be the spark, itself.

I ran my sensor check and got a P1009 code (Advanced VTC Malfunction).

We couldn't figure out why we were getting no spark from the plugs. At this point, I'm assuming something is up with the ignition system, but I'm not sure what else to check.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest confirming spark w/ a removed COP attached to a grounded spark tester.

I recently had a no-start condition on my 2010 TSX w/ same engine. A single fuel injector was stuck open and overwhelming engine w/ fuel in addition to causing hydraulic lock of that cylinder. Starter would try to turn engine but come to a stop!

The code P1009 might be the cause of no-start if the VTC is stuck in a very advanced position or unlocked (valve timing would vary and rattle likely). See attachment.

good luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf