Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil around spark plug threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil around spark plug threads

ORIGINAL: accordfan222

I changed spark plug on 97 accord SE with 184000 miles on it. I saw some oil aroud the threads and around the tip. Is that common to have the oil in that area. I read lots of forums about having oil around spark plug wires. I checked the wires and had no oil on them. Just curious.
I just reread your post,, when you say oil on the tip .. do you mean at the electrode ?? the part that fires ?? If so you might have leaking valve seals or worn piston rings

Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 PM

DH,
No the oil was not at the tip(@ electrode tip) of the spark plugs. When I took old plug out, I saw some thin film of oil at the socket (spark plug socket) and oil was kind of running down about three to four threads, not all the way down up to electrode. My thinking is that oil might have stuck on to the thread from the oil gathered into the spark plug tube during removal process. This thin film of oil was on all 4 holes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: accordfan222

... Please correct me if I am wrong.
It's not about you being right or wrong. Just making sure we understand your situation. Leaking oil into the sparkplug tubes is a very different issue vs. oil INSIDE the combustion chamber.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

With all of my expertise....

I vote the two correct answers to be the ones from DesertHonda and Jim Blake...
Thank You 2 gentleman. you are the Winners [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 PM

I too seem to have this issue. there appears to be a considerable amount of oil in the tubes I would say about 2 teaspoons worth.
First I will replace my valve cover gasket and spark rings (upper rings). However, I need suggestions on how to get rid of oil in tubes before I remove the plugs and it goes into chamber. Also what can happen if oil leaks into chamber?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Use a long screwdriver to push a rag down there to soak up most of the oil.Acouple dropsin the combustion chamber isn't gonna hurt.

If there's dirt laying there along with the oil, THEN you should be more careful to clean it all up with the rag.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Changed the upper seals and looks like there is no oil in the tubes yet,did the workat about 3 weeks ago and checked it yesterday.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM
FLaccord93
Unregistered

Lower seals =big job! Can,t I risk just the upper seal first? Valve cover on/off easy. If top leaks what % of time is bottom bad 10% or more like 75%?

since I posted above? I replaced the upper seals & vc gasket. I used the air compresser with a long blow nozzleand a rag above the hole to absorb the oil. worked fantastic! Also replaced oil cooler seal. Thanks to this forum these jobs were a LOT EASIER. Thanks to all who take time to post smart detailed info.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable plan.

I would try to clean the tubes as much as possible, then drive around for a day. Get as much light in there as possible so you can try to tell which seal is leaking.

If you really can't tell, I'd replace the top ones first. The valve cover is pretty easy to take off, so duplicated work is small. And if you DO have to replace the lower ones, do it before your new VC gasket set has time to get old & hard.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Default A few more questions on this problem

Great info here, everyone. Seems to hit my problem on the head (but hopefully not head gasket ). A few other questions on the problem. My son is getting ready to take our 93 Accord with about 220K miles to Canada from Portland. I am due to take it to the mechanic in 3 days for a check over as a preventive measure before this trip. Last night he was driving it and the part that covers the spark plug tube popped out. Immediately the car started running noticeably rough, and the engine light went on. He told me about it this morning before heading off on a long drive. we saw the spark plug tube popped out, put it back in, and the idle seemed fine. He drove it up the street and back and things seemed fine. However, in picking up friends, it popped off a couple more times. We ended up exchanging cars, with him taking my 88 Accord (228K miles) that leaks/drinks oil like crazy (I carry a case in my trunk).

On the spark plug tube:
1. Is there a quick fix for the tube popping out? I would like a band aid until it goes to the mechanic, but we need to have the car for until then. Don't have time to replace the upper seals before the mechanic. As stupid as it sounds, will duct tape place hold it in place OK for a couple days?
2. What if I drive it with the tube popped out and the idle rough and power diminished? Will it hurt the car until I get it to the mechanic?
3. Can I cover the tube hole with duct tape until it gets fixed?

I hate cars.

Thanks for all your help.

I haven't checked for how much oil is in the tube. Am about to try the rag pushed down the hole with the screwdriver to check.

Quick Reply: Oil around spark plug threads