Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil consumption

Hey im new here i was just wondering if there is a solution for this. My car is burning oil within 1500 miles it burned out almost 1.5qts its seeming to burn more frequently too. Car runs really good i bought it with 132,000+ now it has 145,000+. When i bought it was not burning anything its a 1998 honda accord ex 4cyl coupe. For oil i use castrol edge full synthetic with lucas and fram ultra filter. Not sure but could the lucas be causing sludge build up?

Also a/c dont work could that possibly play a part because of it not working maybe not cooling the engine down correctly? Only saying that because i changed spark plugs and looked like they were starting to turn white at tip and i have a book that diagnoses them and it said it could have something to do with sticking valves and insufficient engine cooling etc. Idk much about cars any advice or solution would be much appreciated.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

The Lucas is snake oil anyway so you can lose that and save yourself some money.

Regarding your oil consumption, a couple of comments:
  • A quart every 1,500 miles is really not all that bad, especially for a car with over 100,000 miles. That said, some cars easily make it to the quarter of a million mile mark and can still go an entire oil change without consuming a quart.
  • If I read your post correctly, it sounds like the accelerated oil consumption is a relatively recent phenomena, if so, it is not at all unusual for a gummed up PCV valve to cause a sudden rise in consumption. The valve is cheap and relatively easy to replace, you might want to give that a try.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for quick response ill gove that a try i also went to autozone got my engine tested nothing popped up not sure if that balve would show or not.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Think i should try out marvel mystery oil? Maybe valves are sticking not sure what from maybe the lucas?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Roch.nicholas
Thanks for quick response ill gove that a try i also went to autozone got my engine tested nothing popped up not sure if that balve would show or not.
No, a bad PCV valve will not throw a code; it is considered a normal maintenance item.

Think i should try out marvel mystery oil? Maybe valves are sticking not sure what from maybe the lucas?
Marvel Mystery Oil (aka. MMO) is just as much snake oil as Lucas. If you need a light oil, then use light oil, no need to add light oil with a witch's brew of crap in it.

Another thougth; is your car one of the models which require periodic valve adjustments? If so then it might be time to get that done.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Maintenace light does keep coming on i keep resetting it too. And im not sure if my car needs that ill ask around. As for the mmo i was going to try and run it in my engine for maybe couple miles let it sit over night the do my next oil change with just straight oil 10w 30 half synthetic maybe full.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Maintenace light does keep coming on i keep resetting it too. And im not sure if my car needs that ill ask around. As for the mmo i was going to try and run it in my engine for maybe couple miles let it sit over night the do my next oil change with just straight oil 10w 30 half synthetic maybe full.
Why 10W-30? Doesn't your engine call for 5W-30? FWIW, in the world of Synthetic oil, 0W-30 is better than 5W-30 which is better than 10W-30; the lower the "W" number the faster oil pumps up out of your oil pan and into your engine following a cold start, even if said "cold start" is out in the desert where the ambient temperatures are above one-hundred.

Regarding the MMO, messing with it will NOT change your oil consumption one bit; it will just drain your wallet some.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Checked the pcv valve according to the book i have if it makes a rattle noise when you shake it it is good. So i shook it and there is a rattle noise.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by shipo
Why 10W-30? Doesn't your engine call for 5W-30? FWIW, in the world of Synthetic oil, 0W-30 is better than 5W-30 which is better than 10W-30; the lower the "W" number the faster oil pumps up out of your oil pan and into your engine following a cold start, even if said "cold start" is out in the desert where the ambient temperatures are above one-hundred.

Regarding the MMO, messing with it will NOT change your oil consumption one bit; it will just drain your wallet some.
I usually use 10w 30 in summer and 5w 30 in winter.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Checked the pcv valve according to the book i have if it makes a rattle noise when you shake it it is good. So i shook it and there is a rattle noise.
If the PCV is old, replace it; I've seen plenty which would rattle and yet were still bad.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption