Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

oil pressure loss

Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Default RE: oil pressure loss

no pressure sounds like rod and/or crank bearings are bad, possible to fix without replacing the engine. Get an opinion from a trusted mechanic (i'm just a guy that works on cars, not a mechanic)

Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JP

Mechanic says there's no way of telling short of pulling the engine down to look at the bearings.
First of all DO NOT replace anything till you have car properly DIAGNOSED ,,,,Is there any engine noise ??
And the mechanic making the above statement ,is full of CRAP..
All you got to do is remove the oil pan to chk the condition of the bearings , while pan is off you can also have a look at the oil pump pick up .. at times the screen get real clogged up ..also what i have seen a few times is people run over objects on the road denting in the oil pan , pushed up against the oil pick up screen , thus pump cannot suck up any oil , thus no oil pressure . thus oil lite comes on..

If indeed the engine is toast .. I would reccomend replacing it with a low miles japanese engine ,, they have around 45-50k miles ,, that would be the most economical way ,,I have replaced a bunch of them , some on the roads for 7-8 years and have not had any problems ,,

Old 03-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

We usually pull of the valve cover first to see if the engine is a serious sludge monster or not.