Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rear balance shaft

Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 AM
slowncurious
Unregistered
Default rear balance shaft

I need help!!! I replaced my timing belt and in doing so I now have a strange noise.I have gone thru the job twice and can find nothing I did wrong per honda instructions.But I did allow the rear balance shaft to spin because I forgot to stick a bolt in it.and I then tried to put it back by rotating it back and sticking a bolt in.I found that I could rotate the shaft and get the bolt in many poisitions. Dose this matter or is there only one poistion? And yes I marked at 2.9 in. but it seemed to go in farther.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 AM
slowncurious
Unregistered
Default RE: rear balance shaft

I forgot to say its a 99 lx with a 4 cyl.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM

If the 99 is like a 92, then the rear balnance shaft has only one hole it it, but there are several depressions in the shaftthat can fool you into thinking that there must be several. You're probably using a bolt that is too large a diameter to fit through the hole.Try a muchsmaller bolt to find the hole (you'll know it because it'll go in quitedeep) and then pick a largerone that fits the holewithout being too sloppy.

As for the noise - make sure when you get everything together thatyou adjust belt tensions according to the following Honda procedure:
Name:  Timing2.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  60.5 KB

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:15 PM
slowncurious
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply Tony, I'm pretty certain I got the belts adjusted right and I used a 15/64 drill bit to line up the hole. My cog has a groove in it and it was in about the 4:00 position, dose that sound right? I also replaced the tensioners,water pump, and the balancer belt. I'm concerned that I might have falty parts the water pump specificly, as they are not honda. Anymore help would be appreciated as I don't look forward to taking this thing apart again.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM

I assume you've got everything back together, and Icompletely understand why you don't want to take anything apart again. But you say something does not sound right, so you want to investigate and figure out what that might be.

If I were you, I'd check the easy stuff first.

Without taking anything apart, put the engine back at TDC, remove the rear balance shaft access plug/bolt, and try to insert your drill into the shaft. You should be able to push drill waaaay in there. There should be no doubt that you're in the hole in the shaft.

If the shafts are in their proper position, the belts are properly tensioned, but you still have the noise, you're going to have to bite the bullet and investigate further.

You might want to read through this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Tim...m_56418/tm.htm

And this one (where a person also reported a noise that was not there before he did his job):
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Ten...m_47917/tm.htm

Let us know if the rear shaft is in its proper position at TDC.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Also, if you get a broom handle (wooden) and place it on the water pump and put your ear on the end of it while the car is running it can act like a stethascope of sorts to try and determine where the sound is coming from.... does it sound like a water pump bearing squeel or does it click or what?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
slowncurious
Unregistered

It sounds like a bearing to me, the strange thing is you really don't hear it unless your sitting in the car with the windows up, you don't hear it when your driving. I'm going to take the lower cover off tonite and start it up and try the stethascope trick.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 PM
slowncurious
Unregistered

also when I stick the bolt in the hole to line up the shaft I can put it in at least 4 positions this is why I'm so unsure of what I'm doing. There dosen't seem to be one sure way.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: slowncurious
also when I stick the bolt in the hole to line up the shaft I can put it in at least 4 positions this is why I'm so unsure of what I'm doing. There dosen't seem to be one sure way.
There is only one hole that goes all the way through the shaft. What you are sayingtells me that you are using a drill that is too large in diameter to fit into the hole.

Start off withsomething 1/8"in diameterand you'll definitely find the hole. Then you can pick slightly larger bits till you find one thatfits snug.

(BTW, you ARE using the correct access hole in the block, right?)

Old 05-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Slow, I did my timing belt last week, and Tony was very , very helpful I want to thank him for assistance and replies in my post.
If you have to take everything apart, make sure that when the bolt is locking the rear shaft you should not be able to spin the gear by hand, it should be locked in place before installing the belt.
Also make sure the front one is aligned up with the mark on the block.
Ah,
Don't forget to check the tensioners.... they might be making the noise. How many miles does it have ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear balance shaft