Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Ringlands strength

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Supper Moderator
Default Ringlands strength

Ok well I’m at the point I need to know what I want to do about pistons. IF I can get away with the OEM f22 ones that would be great...but I want to have so reliability backing up this power goal I have in mind (400+)
Now I know the h22 pistons have weak ring lands...so how about the f22s? I see ppl boostin the crap out of them all the time but how long should they last at high boost? Would it be the best bet to just fork over the 500bucks and go forged?? btw this will be a g22 vatack

Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Supper Moderator

wow really? I figured Jim or Rice would have popped in to say hi...

btw I'm hearing both sides of the story on this they are weak and then hey aren’t weak.,..ugggh I just want a solid answer

Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

You mean ME?

I understand the engineering behind it, but I don't know the specifics of F22 vs H22 pistons. So I don't really know the answer.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
You mean ME?

I understand the engineering behind it, but I don't know the specifics of F22 vs H22 pistons. So I don't really know the answer.
lol yeah you

Do you know what causes a ringland(s) blows out or breaks?...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

One common thing is when break-in doesn't include any high-RPM work. The cylinder walls wear & the ridge develops at the top of the cylinders. Then at high RPM the rods "stretch" & the ring slams into the ridge.

I don't know if it's very common for ringlands to break just under the increased combustion pressure with boost. I'm an engineer, but not in the automotive world. I don't know what kind of margins are common for the piston structure, but I bet the margins are getting more & more slim as each company tries to out-perform the others.

Some modern engines make things worse by having very shallow piston skirts. Plus the rings are getting much closer to the top. On one hand that's good because there's less dead space between the pistion crown & the first ring. Lighter pistons = less reciprocating mass. OTOH the piston is a less robust structure.

Trade-offs are everywhere in life. You can make your car nearly indestructable by stamping the body out of 1/4" steel plate. But then the car would weigh about 36,000 lb.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-26-2010 at 09:20 PM.