Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

some VTEC seal going out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Default some VTEC seal going out?

I was at AAMCO when I asked them to replace an oil pan gasket and radiator. They replaced the radiator but said that the oil pan was fine. He said that some VTEC switch or something was leaking on the back of the engine. Anyone have any expierence with this?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Default RE: some VTEC seal going out?

the most common point for it to leak is the seal around the oil sending unit (above the oil filter) as far as a vtec seal that's new news to me....

Old 03-03-2007, 05:09 AM

ok. I listened to the message on the answering machine and he specifically said "VTEC Switch." what ever that is, he said he ordered the part and it will be here monday. parts+labor for this is $97.00. To get the oil pan gasket changed like was originally planned was $100.00 parts+labor. Not really a big difference in price. I decided to go ahead and get this fixed. I figure i already set aside $100 for oil gasket, why not just go ahead and spend it on whatever this part is. I'll ask for old part back so I can identify it. I'll post weather the car still leaks oil or not probably on tuesday. Thanx for the replies.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:21 PM

I thought the Vtech switch was on the side next to the valve cover? Next to the Distributor. Or is that the solenoid?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes i have seen it leak at the gasket ( seal ) v-tec switch is screwed into the bigger solenoid ..it is a very easy job to do ..
the solenoid is located where gravey said ..but i would not say that it is on the back of the engine ( well kind of ) i guess ,, depends how they interpeted it ..

Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM

I just found the best parts site i've seen IMO. Anyone heard of http://mtfujimotorsports.com/ ? Not wanting to advertise, but found this site to be very helpful in finding parts. BTW, if I broke any rules by posting this, sorry. feel free to block post.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM

no rules broken, it's all good.... I tell everyone looking for window regulators/motors to go to 1aauto.com all the time....

Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 AM

well. I got the car back from AAMCO people that replaced my radiator and VTEC Switch. They said the seal was leaking in it which was why there was oil on the ground everytime I park. He said a new one of these are about 3-$400 dollars. He charged me $97 and said he took the good parts off a used one, the good parts off my old one and created a "like new" part. You can tell he changed something (valve covers greasy, I cleaned them before I went there. Also, he offered to show me the damaged part they took off. You can tell the oil has been changed because I was little low on it, Which i later topped off. Did I get ripped off on the part itself? Sorry if I previously posted this in the "greddy oil post". It should've gone here.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a picture...

Right in the middle, #13 is the VTEC oil pressure switch. It screws into the VTEC spool valve which is only available as the entire assembly (#9 for $300).

IF the ONLY problem was leaking seals, it could have been as cheap as the O-ring for the pressure switch (#21, $2) or the gasket where the spool valve bolts to the head (#10, $9). Or both.

For gravey86, the VTEC solenoid is on top with the triangle mounting plate. It's got it's own gasket (#12, $2)if that's where the leak was.

Ripped off?? That depends on how much time he spent figuring out exactly where it was leaking from.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:19 PM

Parts: $72 (thats what the reciept says)
Labor: $25-$30 (not much at all)
Tax: $5-$7

total........around $108.00

Quick Reply: some VTEC seal going out?