Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Sport Button

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Default Sport Button

I have a 91 accord lx, with 207000 miles on it, and us recently, on occasion, the "Sport" button comes on without me pushing the button. Then after this happens ill let it sit for a day, and go out to start it and i have to give it gas to start it...I took the battery out today and went and got it tested, and the battery is fine, but when i put the battery back in it drove fine for about an hour. Any help is welcome.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Sport Button

yeah - it is a transmission problem

i think we've discussed it here on forums - try to look for it in antique posts - I think you might fight some info

Tip of the day: Did you know batteries can be tested actually on the car?!?!

Added - just to cover the question - "Sport" on is sort of like a check engine light in the car - theres a testing procedure to get the code from Transmission of what went wrong and then repair accordingly. (try to find one of my posts on checking procedure)

Should you be worried?? ummm yes, just like any check engine light have to be treated in the short time

good luck

Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 AM

The sport button is not a "check" light ..... it just gives u a better gear to gear ratio it has nothing to do with having proble,s or checking anything

Old 10-28-2005, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocker

The sport button is not a "check" light ..... it just gives u a better gear to gear ratio it has nothing to do with having proble,s or checking anything
well then obviously you dont understand how transmission diagnostic codes work

Old 11-11-2005, 02:39 AM

For starters the sport buttton is to give the drive a more agressive shift point with higher rev levels before shifting when the gas is held down. Generally the light only comes on when it is used. When the light flashes it can indicate transmission issues and even a bad speed sensor. When the light flashes does the speedometer bounce around or quit working? If so it may just be the speed sensor. If not you need to pull a transmission code as Evlamoius said.