Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Stupid question i know(im new to honda's)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Stupid question i know(im new to honda's)

ok so my question is in a few parts,
1. is the stock 2.2 in the 91 accord ex (my car) worth beefing up? i dont want anythin ridiculous just a little extra power
2. if so, where is a good place to get a short block and what upgrades can i do to improve the performance of the motor/trans.
3. if not, what would be a good swap that wouldnt require a drastic change in the car like complete harness swaps or cutting/ moving things

to give you a little background on the car, i picked it up for 100 bucks from my roommate (awesome deal right?) and i have been fixing it up ever since, im in the process of preparing to instal air ride/repaint the car/ put in a bad@ss system.

the engine has like 200+k on it so i wanna start building a new one. i have always been into hot rods my whole life so i dont really speak honda but i love my little accord

thx for readin/helpin

Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Supper Moderator

If you have 2k drop a whole h22 swap.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30017
spend the extra money and get the LSD tranny.

If you want a 150-160hp f22 hear is a good starter.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...413#post193413
Read the 2nd page post #14 and click on that link and read it.

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-25-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

see thats the thing, i dont know what f22a4 or whatever is, i know nothing about honda motors and dont know where to research about them lol all i know is chevy v8

Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM

f22a is your engine and he is telling you to drop in a h22 engine, a larger or more advanced one that will still fit inside your engine bay. he also recommended a transmission swap to an LSD which would be great for your engine swap. that is if you have the extra cash to throw around. otherwise i reccommend just adding more stuff to what you got. there is plenty of aftermarket parts that you can add to your 91 honda accor 2.2l i4 f22a engine. you could just search around the internet to find performance parts that you could replace your stock ones. i would start with cold air intake, and headers exaust. maybe add a new performance throttle body, and add a throttle body spacer. that is a quick way to gain some extra hp. that is one of the good things about hondas, there are so many aftermarket parts. hondas are a hig demand vehicle and that is why so much research has been done to beef them up. I am also new to this vehicle and i actually have the same that you have... a stock 1991 Honda Accord 2.2L sohc. im having a blast so far

Last edited by fortyfootelf; 01-26-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by stretch1320
see thats the thing, i dont know what f22a4 or whatever is, i know nothing about honda motors and dont know where to research about them lol all i know is chevy v8
You know right below the create new "thread" button there is a *sticky* named "ENGINE IDs" READ THE F*CKING STICKY!!!

Then you would know all the engine codes for accords. Then you wouldn’t have to reply with "what is a f22a4".
Do yourself a favor and research and read! This forum plus any forum you search for on google will give you any answer to any question you have to answer!!! TAKE THE TIME AND SEARCH!

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-27-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Aww, come on. Be nice to the newbie. It won't hurt you. You're welcome to ignore the questions you don't like.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Supper Moderator

It's not I don't like the question...I don't like the lack of them helping them self’s. It only takes 30min of searching to find any answer to w/e question is being asked. Now I understand if the person searched and searched and asked a question that hasn’t been answered 987654 times be4 then it would be diff. story. But when there is a damn sticky on the forum that gives them the info then it's a simple case of lazyness.
Jimblake you have a couple thousand post you know where I’m coming from...I’m sure this isn’t your 1st pony ride.

..........if I didn't care I wouldn't post

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-27-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

to be honest i didnt even notice the "sticky" untill you mentioned it, im completely new to all of this so cut me some slack. ivebeen into chevys/ hotrods my entire life until i came to own my honda and now im obsessed with them. as for the forum thing im new to that too, i actually did look around on google to try and figure it out for my self but had no luck/knowledge what to look for, which would be why i said "IM NEW"
thanks have a nice day

Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 PM

maybe i can be of some help. my dad loves chevys/hotrods and hates my honda or so he says lol. glad to see you found some interest!! so im gonna start off with whats the exact engine in your car. I know its gotta be f22a but whats the number after it?

if you look on the block just left of the exhaust manifold you should see a spot with the engine code. itll say f22ax, x being the unknown number. its either a 1,4, or 6 for those cars. ex should be a 4 or 6 i believe.

now these motors in particular are great and actually not given enough credit IMO. they have great flowing heads and strong blocks. they also share similarities with some of the H motors allowing for some sweet combos.

the f22a4 is known for a good flowing stock header, f22a1 for a good flowing head, and f22a6 for a wilder cam and two stage intake manifold. id say a good mix is an a6 head on an a block with the a4 stock header. could keep the a6 intake manifold or even swap for an h23a manifold. all have lots of info on the web.

just some ideas. trying searching the web and any other questions can be answered here as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by clutch811
maybe i can be of some help. my dad loves chevys/hotrods and hates my honda or so he says lol. glad to see you found some interest!! so im gonna start off with whats the exact engine in your car. I know its gotta be f22a but whats the number after it?

if you look on the block just left of the exhaust manifold you should see a spot with the engine code. itll say f22ax, x being the unknown number. its either a 1,4, or 6 for those cars. ex should be a 4 or 6 i believe.

now these motors in particular are great and actually not given enough credit IMO. they have great flowing heads and strong blocks. they also share similarities with some of the H motors allowing for some sweet combos.

the f22a4 is known for a good flowing stock header, f22a1 for a good flowing head, and f22a6 for a wilder cam and two stage intake manifold. id say a good mix is an a6 head on an a block with the a4 stock header. could keep the a6 intake manifold or even swap for an h23a manifold. all have lots of info on the web.

just some ideas. trying searching the web and any other questions can be answered here as well.
that is exactly the kind of info i was looking for! after actually figuring out where to do some research im pretty positive its an f22a4, its pretty damn fast already, hits 120 like nothin

Quick Reply: Stupid question i know(im new to honda's)