Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

temperature gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:11 AM
moto64
Unregistered
Default temperature gauge problem

i have a 1995 accord lx and my temperature gauge isn't really working right now. The needle moves a little when i drive (more than 30 minutes) only up to the blue line. I took the resistance for the temperature sensor and it is good, then changed the fan switch (didn't want to return part, thought it was a sensor).

For one, could it be the temperature sender even if the gauge needle moves? I'm kinda fustrated because the gauge still doesn't work and now the fan comes on whenever i drive, about 5 minutes maybe.

Secondly, i'm hoping my old fan switch was bad, that's why the fan comes onmost ofthe time now? Is it supposed to come on that often. note: the fan would come on with the old fan switch installed, it would just come on after the car was turned off for a few minutes.

i hope this was clear enough and any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: temperature gauge problem

is the thermostat stuck open? thought that wouldnt explain the fan always coming on...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:47 AM
moto64
Unregistered

the thermostat is fine. I just found out that since i bought the fan switch from a local car shop (not genuine honda part), itsprobably set at a lower temp, that's why the fancomes on sooner than the stock switch.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Which 'sensor' did you replace? Which sensor did you check the resistance of? There's 2 fan switches, 1 temperaturesensor for ECU, & another sender for the gauge.

The fan switch in the thermostat housing (lower radiator hose, back near firewall) is responsible for switching the fans while the engine is running.

The fan switch near the upper radiator hose is responsible for switching after you turn off the engine.

There's a timer module under the dashboard that's responsible for choosing which fan switch to pay attention to.

In the head near the distributor there's 2 temperature sensors. The one with a 2-wire connector is for the ECU. The one with only 1 wire is the sender for the gauge.

They don't 'share' information among the different sensors in '95.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 PM
moto64
Unregistered

i initially tried to replace the engine temerature sensor for the ecu, but took the resistance and found it was working. I replaced the fan switch next (thinking it was another ecu sensor), which caused the fan to turn on at a lower temp because it was a generic switch.
I just changed the temperature gauge sender which was the problem and now the gauge works fine.

Thanks for all the help!