Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Thermostat Gasket In Coolant Jacket???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 01:58 AM
Default Thermostat Gasket In Coolant Jacket???

Short Story: I found a piece of what I believe to be the thermostat gasket in my coolant jacket (the one that goes around the cylinders). I am wondering where else do I need to check to make sure there are no pieces of the gasket in my engine. Or will it be fine as long as I took out the pieces that I found..
Also I drained the oil and it was clean... Like really clean, I think the guy did an oil change before trying to sell it or something....

Longer Story:
So I bought a 4 cylinder 1999 accord EX with a blown Head Gasket for $900.
Confirmed it might've had a bad head gasket as I saw the forbidden milkshake in the coolant reservoir. I then drained out the Pina Colada from my radiator and started disconnecting everything to get the head off. When I got to the Thermostat I found that the gasket was torn up, didn't think much of it as I figured it was due to overheating or something from the bad Head Gasket. I did not however notice if it was a complete gasket as it was torn into 4-6 parts. Well anyways taking out all the hoses and they all had forbidden banana milkshake in them. When I finally took off the head, the gasket didn't seem to be in too bad of a condition, tho I didn't get to cleaning and checking it yet. What I did find however was some rubber gasket (Much like the thermostat gasket) passed out drunk in my Coolant Jacket that wraps around the cylinders !! I pulled them out and disposed of them. I want to put everything back together but am unsure where I should check to make sure there's no more pieces of gasket left in the block/system. I am not even sure how the gasket got there, especially since the pieces were a couple inches long...

Also I know I should get the head sent to a shop and checked for warpage but honestly don't know if I want to just leave it and regret it later haha..

Last edited by SirGuote; 05-08-2024 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:04 AM

So after viewing the video of me fishing out the gasket I realized I am very dumb and it was probably just a piece of the timing belt gasket... Not the Thermostat housing gasket. Anyways I am curious if I should replace the water pump due to these findings tho? I am unsure if the gasket was in the system while the car was on or (more likely) if it just fell off into the jacket cuz I was not being careful taking off the Head.. I don't have the harmonic balancer removal tool and I have the lower timing belt cover on, don't ask me how I got off the head. You don't want to know lol

Last edited by SirGuote; 05-08-2024 at 12:07 PM.