General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket or what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Default Head Gasket or what?

Hoping someone can give me some direction.

2014 V6 at with 38k
I noticed that I was blowing a lot of "smoke" last night. I couldn't tell what color it was but it didn't have a bad smells so I decided to recheck in the morning.
This morning, I started it and had the same issue. To me, it just seems like a lot of clear condensation so I took it for a 30 mile, 45min. drive to see if I could burn it off. Before leaving, I checked the oil and radiator. Both full, and oil was changed only a couple hundred miles ago, so very clean. I figured that my short 4 mile trips to work in cold weather are not enough to burn off all the water.
It didn't work.
The condensation was still pretty heavy, although not as bad, when I got back home. I figured I needed more driving and a pcv change.
Tonight, when it was cool enough to change the pcv, I put some coolant from the overflow in my hand. Greasy and maybe a dark residue. I also have a creamy yellow gunk under the oil cap.
Head gasket?
Wouldn't I be losing oil or coolant? Or are they just mixing and maintaining full levels?
What do I have here?

Thanks for the read!

Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

A head gasket typically fails when you overheat an engine. Has that happened recently on your car?

I wouldn't change the head gasket until your are sure that is the problem. I'd recommend testing for a head gasket leak based on your description. The exhaust gas test for the radiator is one test. You can also do a leakdown test to see if air is getting into the radiator.

If you verify you have to replace the head gasket, then you should get the cylinder head milled by a machine shop, so it is perfectly flat and creates a good seal with the gasket.