Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing Belt Question about Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Default Timing Belt Question about Tensioners

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this group, and I have read alot of the posts about timing belt replacement here (particularly in the DIY section) and it has all been very informative and I wanted to thank this forum for providing the information in order for me to have the confidence to attempt this job.

I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX automatic with 134,000 miles. I've been thinking about doing the timing belt/balancer belt water pump and seals replacement myself, and I had one question for you folks:

For those of you who have done the job yourself, how many of you have repalced the timing belt AND balance belt tensioners and springs. Should I replace these? There is a kit on ebay that has everything except the two tensioners for $150.00 and I think this is a good deal, but the tensioners cost $47.00 dollars each. Should I do them? Has anyone not done them and then had to go back and replace them after failure?

I really appreciate as many responses as possible, as I am just about to order the parts.

By the way, thanks to deserhonda for the DIY and Tony and here is the link for the parts. Let my know what you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...55879395QQrdZ1

My local dealer had the parts for much more.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Timing Belt Question about Tensioners

When I changed the timing belt on my Integra I didn't do the waterpump, the tensioner, or the seals. They looked & felt really good, bearings were smooth, no leakage. Within a year the waterpump started leaking. I sold the car about 30k miles further, & the tensioner was still OK.

So it was a bit of a pain to get back in there & change the waterpump, but I knew the risks when I made the decision to not replace it. If they look good on inspection, I'd probably do it the same way again. There's no way anyone can guarantee how long before they fail. All we can do is warn you so you can make up your own mind.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Staged206K
Unregistered

I just did a timing belt, balancer belt, plus both tensioners, crank seal, cam seal, and water pump on a 95 Accord 2.2 (206K miles too)...I would do it all while you're in there.
Hardest part was the crank bolt ...180+++lbs...had to use a extended breaker bar resting on a jack stand...but it came off.... Draining the radiator fluid out of the block was fun too...more than you would suspect from that little 4cyl block....You need to remove both tensioners to get to the water pump ..... everything came out great and it's running fine...
I used ebay to get parts tooo.....most convienient stores were charging very high prices....

I sed the "theimportexperts" on ebay....
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQf...eimportexperts

It had OEM type parts.....current auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...QQcmdZViewItem

Look for the entire kit......Good price, fast shipping....I still have to do the valve cover gasket and spark plug well seals (included in the kit)...but I got no leaks now and will do it shortly.

Hope this helps......

Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I dont replace tensioners unless they feel or sound bad.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

replace all the wearable parts that you take off the car

Old 11-20-2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ordered all the parts from an ebay Honda dealer for $250.00 shipped. That's not bad. Since everything is apart, I might as well do it all. The same dealer wanted 450 dollars for just the timing and balancer belt replacement and 620 for the waterpump included.

I appreciate the info and from reading the posts, it looks like if I just line up the crank, cam and front balancer belt timing marks, and stabilize the rear balance shaft, then everything will work out.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hatzipri

I appreciate the info and from reading the posts, it looks like if I just line up the crank, cam and front balancer belt timing marks, and stabilize the rear balance shaft, then everything will work out.
Look at all the timing marks & make sure you understand them BEFORE taking off the belts. I know you expect nothing will move as you change the belt, but ... ??